Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11
Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11
I got my new Airsense 11 a few weeks ago, after a 3-month delay due to supplier backlog. First night I tried it, I noticed a pretty strong odor coming from it that reminds me of dry cleaning fluid (perchloroethylene), or something similar. Definitely doesn't smell like something I should be breathing all night.

For several days after, I would turn it on and run it without wearing it, hoping it would air out and the odor would go away, but it's still there. It's strongest right when it first starts up, but it never goes away completely.

I'm pretty sure the smell is coming from inside the pump unit itself, not from the hose, mask, or water tank. I can even smell it on the flexible coupling where the water tank plugs into the pump unit.

I'm wondering if maybe the thing got assembled before some adhesive had completely dried, or something like that.

I called the supplier, and asked my doctor, and they both said they hadn't heard this complaint before. But I'm not making it up, and it doesn't seem like a small thing. It doesn't seem safe for me to use. But due to supply backlog, the supplier said I would have to wait quite awhile for another one if I return the one I have. I'm a bit stuck not knowing what to do.

So I just thought I would throw this out to the community here and see if anyone has any thoughts about it. 

I'm located in Seattle WA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11
This seems to be a common occurrence with new machines. There's a whole lot of various plastics emitting odors going on with them. 

I didn't experience that with my AirSense 10 when I got it, but then again, an odor has to be pretty overwhelming before I'll take notice. 

You might have to give it some time for the odor to go away. I'd suggest placing it outside in the sunshine when not in use. The fresh air and sun should help. 

Anyways, you're not the first, and you definitely won't be the last.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's an off-gassing of VOC's (volatile organic compounds) as the new plastic cures. The odor will be the most noticed when plastic is brand new and gradually over time will dissipate. It's much like the new car smell that goes away after time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having the exact same issue. I just got mine last week as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my AS11 last night and noticed a slight smell at initial start up. But it didn't linger. Didn't notice it when I woke up this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ran mine through the hose and mask for about 12 hours (over two sessions) before I used it.  I didn't detect any smell, and I'm pretty sensitive to that.  The mask, an N30i, particularly the nose cradle, was VERY stinky of VOCs.  Thorough wash before forced ventilation as above.  No odor afterward that I detected.
Post Reply Post Reply
My new AirSense 11 also smells like a strong chemical smell which really really bothered my nasal passages and throat. I kept washing all of the parts of the machine and the mask and hose, but the smell must be coming from the unit itself. If you take out the humidifier box, the rubber or silicone gasket the goes into the unit definitely has a very strong chemical smell after using the unit three weeks. Not sure what to do either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepless, how frustrating!  That would be terrible to have a a new machine that has such odor!  I am sorry you are having to go through this.

Some thoughts (many/all of which you may have already considered, but anyway . . .)
  1. Contact your supplier to see if they will help.  Can't speak to their return policies, warranties, and such, 'cuz I don't know them, but can't hurt to complain, and then complain loudly. 
  2. Use state resources if #1 doesn't help.  My state has some decent consumer protection advocates and resources, and the few times I have involved them, things moved.  A bigger hammer and heat sometimes helps remove frozen bolts.
  3. More data.  This involves come cost and some time, but there are devices which can detect VOCs and other compounds in air, and you could purchase one and test your own device against background.  Amazon does sell some, can't speak to their accuracy (you probably get what you pay for), but may provide more data to see if it is out of spec.  Or, take it to someone to test it for you.
  4. Related to #3:  CPAP Reviews on YouTube has some good info on the AS11, and one thing he noted was that the AS11 has a lot more sound abatement foam in it than the AS10.  This is due to the smaller, and probably noisier motor (same as in their travel model).  Maybe yours has a bad batch of foam.  Physically digging deeper into your machine to sniff this could void your warranty -- check for yourself and make your own choices here.
  5. Make a warranty claim, but you will probably need data to back it up, per above.  If you're using an ozone cleaner, you will be out of luck on this one no matter what.
Please let us know how things turn out.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a real issue and I fear the offgassing is toxic.  I know my eyes think it is.  Long and short is I got a new resmed 11 a few months back and tried to live with it and could not.  They replaced it which took them 6+weeks and same thing.  I really don't know why more people are not complaining?!?!  Obviously Resmed like to make toxic apnea machines these days...

I'M FED UP WITH IT.  THIS IS Horsesh!t...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2022, 04:08 AM)ducknoir Wrote: I got my new Airsense 11 a few weeks ago, after a 3-month delay due to supplier backlog. First night I tried it, I noticed a pretty strong odor coming from it that reminds me of dry cleaning fluid (perchloroethylene), or something similar. Definitely doesn't smell like something I should be breathing all night.

For several days after, I would turn it on and run it without wearing it, hoping it would air out and the odor would go away, but it's still there. It's strongest right when it first starts up, but it never goes away completely.

I'm pretty sure the smell is coming from inside the pump unit itself, not from the hose, mask, or water tank. I can even smell it on the flexible coupling where the water tank plugs into the pump unit.

I'm wondering if maybe the thing got assembled before some adhesive had completely dried, or something like that.

I called the supplier, and asked my doctor, and they both said they hadn't heard this complaint before. But I'm not making it up, and it doesn't seem like a small thing. It doesn't seem safe for me to use. But due to supply backlog, the supplier said I would have to wait quite awhile for another one if I return the one I have. I'm a bit stuck not knowing what to do.

So I just thought I would throw this out to the community here and see if anyone has any thoughts about it. 

I'm located in Seattle WA.

How is yer machine doing?  I am having the same issues with my new AS11 and it seems to be with every new machine Resmed makes..  On me second one now and its going back too..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,714 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
Question [News] RESMED CHANGES COMING? srlevine1 6 984 12-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 689 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,392 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.