Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Something's gone wrong.
RE: Something's gone wrong.
If you have been using it for some time it’s good enough for me!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 07:58 AM)yankees123 Wrote: Just for information purposes I did not think you should use a hose cover with a heated hose.  Spoke to secondwindcpap and 1800 cpap and both didn’t recommend it.  They said the hose covers were for non heated hoses only.

Many people here use a cover with a heated hose without any problems and in fact I recommend it for comfort.  What exactly was the reasoning for not using a cover on a heated hose?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
To be honest they couldn’t give me a good answer they just said it was not recommended to covering up the heated tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I rarely clean the Airfit P10 frame, but regularly clean and exchange the nasal pillows. The vent mesh is sensitive to any residual moisture and it's best to give it lot of time to dry if you clean it. I have not found it necessary to scrub it, and I try to avoid anything that might leave a residue. I really think vinegar should NOT be used, and at most use a mild soap like baby shampoo or Dawn.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is going to be only organic matter, even if it is crusty and dried around or over the vents, so that stuff will soften with soaking in warm water...not hot...it's not necessary... and then a gentle brushing with a clean/sterile toothbrush.  Rinse, and if you wish air dry, or simply reinstall the hose.  If what covers the vents is of a textile nature, lint, filaments and strands, then that's another matter that bears investigation.

The covered hose should be for the same reasons we put foam tubing around our hot water pipes where they are exposed around the house; it saves energy.  I am only guessing, but those who attempt to wave you off of covering your hose don't appear to understand how it works.  It can only have a temperature range and setting IF it has a thermocouple/similar device that monitors the air/tube temperature.  So, it's not going to get hotter and hotter and you'll start to smell hot tubing or smoke.  As the others have said, they've been doing this for years uneventfully.

Could it be that you have a seasonal condition related to congestion?  What else may be going on, or have changed in your circumstances, that could have this negative effect you have been going through?  Maybe your body and/or brain have changed and you are no longer responding well to the settings.  Sleepyhead's data would really help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 11:09 AM)mesenteria Wrote: The covered hose should be for the same reasons we put foam tubing around our hot water pipes where they are exposed around the house; it saves energy.

I thought it was to prevent rainout. And in the case of a heated hose, isn't the cover redundant, with the heating having that effect anyway?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 12:39 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 11:09 AM)mesenteria Wrote: The covered hose should be for the same reasons we put foam tubing around our hot water pipes where they are exposed around the house; it saves energy.

I thought it was to prevent rainout.  And in the case of a heated hose, isn't the cover redundant, with the heating having that effect anyway?

The spirals round the hose is the 'heater' and as mentioned before, thermal insulation (lagging) is provided to pipes to prevent heat loss and the cover to the heated hose does the same job. 

I should get a cover(cos the spring nights can be cold here) but I have to get off my a--- first.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 01:41 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote: The spirals round the hose is the 'heater' and as mentioned before, thermal insulation (lagging) is provided to pipes to prevent heat loss and the cover to the heated hose does the same job. 

Oops, I wasn't thinking: preventing heat loss is the same thing as preventing rainout in this case. Anyroad, I would have thought the heated hose by itself is sufficient, but OTOH I haven't used mine in the winter yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would recommend a larger pillow. The medium *fits* me better, but I get the air hunger breathe-through-a-straw feeling like you described. So I use a large.

I also saw the comments about the hose cover. I have a heated hose - for avoiding rainout, and because my husband likes a cold room. I have a hose cover because it's comfier to sleep with, and it doesn't make noise if it hits my headboard in my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a hose cover on my heated hose and they seems to work well together. I could only imagine that the hose cover would make the heated hose more efficient and you would use slightly less power as well maintaining temperature. The main reason I got a hose cover though was that it made the hose much more silent when moving around the headboard of the bed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Think Im Doing This All Wrong DudleyDoRight 9 231 04-22-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 151 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 573 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,560 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 340 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 500 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 642 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.