Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Something to Worry About?
Something to Worry About?
Hey All,

New to the boards... Not sure if I should be worried.
Been on CPAP for just over 6 months... My flow rate line used to be fairly flat all night, but lately I've been getting a bit of waxing and waining in the last two-three months or so.

The machine usually doesn't flag it as a PB... Just wondering if it's something I should investigate further or just a natural thing my body has decided to start doing.

I'm trying to post screen shots but apparently my account is too new... Link split below (if that's allowed?)
http:// imgu r.com/a/UtBm2

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Something to Worry About?
Hi Snuffy1717. Welcome to the Apnea Board. I couldn't connect to your link. Try again and test the link. I would like to help.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Imgur seemed to be down for a few minutes... Just checked and it's back up now...
With the link, because I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post it, you have to remove the space between / and i, as well as the one between u and r...

Sorry for it being a pain :S
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2016, 05:56 AM)Snuffy1717 Wrote: Hey All,

New to the boards... Not sure if I should be worried.
Been on CPAP for just over 6 months... My flow rate line used to be fairly flat all night, but lately I've been getting a bit of waxing and waining in the last two-three months or so.

The machine usually doesn't flag it as a PB... Just wondering if it's something I should investigate further or just a natural thing my body has decided to start doing.

I'm trying to post screen shots but apparently my account is too new... Link split below (if that's allowed?)
http:// imgu r.com/a/UtBm2

Thanks!

Take the space out after // and between "u" and "r" and it works.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snuffy1717 and welcome to the forum!

Looks like your AHI is really good. Anything below 5 is considered treated. I'm sure you will get more detailed responses from some of the other more experienced users soon!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Cate!
I've been incredibly happy with it so far... Went from 30+ AHI in my study to between .5 and 2 most nights.

I've had minor heart palps (the cardiologist I saw last year didn't seem overly concerned). I have a follow-up with him in mid-November, just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with (what looks to me like a bit of) waxing & waning
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it. I didn't notice the spaces. Yes, that pattern does look like periodic breathing. Your AHI is very low which means that your apnea us under control. What you might be seeing is a bit of CO2 washout due to the pressure differential in your settings. This should not be a problem if it is relatively rare during the night. It should also not be a problem if your O2 saturation is good. One thing you can do to test this idea is to raise your lower pressure by 0.5 CM H2O at a time. This will reduce the washout of CO2 and should reduce the periodic breathing.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar problem of waxing and waning. Mine come with a CAs in between each. Had the best night last night ever up to the last hour (AHI=.3). If you include the last hour my AHI was 3.3.
Going to have a heart stress test Monday. That, and, maybe stop trying to get 8 hours of sleep.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2016, 07:57 AM)richb Wrote: Got it. I didn't notice the spaces. Yes, that pattern does look like periodic breathing. Your AHI is very low which means that your apnea us under control. What you might be seeing is a bit of CO2 washout due to the pressure differential in your settings. This should not be a problem if it is relatively rare during the night. It should also not be a problem if your O2 saturation is good. One thing you can do to test this idea is to raise your lower pressure by 0.5 CM H2O at a time. This will reduce the washout of CO2 and should reduce the periodic breathing.

Rich

OP's machine is a straight CPAP. Although one of the flex settings must be set to 2 (like EPR on a ResMed machine.) If that flex setting could be reduced it might help.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure is set at 8, but it's got a FLEX on the breath out... SH tells me it sits between 6 and 6.5 most nights and adjusts automatically
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Mask - Leaks or nothing to worry about? SleepyDwarf123 5 1,022 02-18-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Should I worry my Clear Airways? AlanAb 7 965 12-17-2021, 10:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  when do i start to worry sleepistryingtokillme 4 687 07-05-2021, 01:53 PM
  Flow limitation -- something to worry about my values? multicast 8 1,548 03-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Should I worry about leaks? mirkee 1 897 06-15-2019, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Melman
  sleep apnea heart worry mark88 5 1,602 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM
  Any reason to worry? mltam 24 4,520 09-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.