Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Starting pressure problem?
Question 
Starting pressure problem?
Hi all

I’ve been using my machine for a couple of months now and have accrued a reasonable amount of data. I’m sure I am benefitting from the therapy as my diagnosis was ‘severe sleep-disordered breathing’ with an AHI 50+ and this has been reduced to a 30 day average of 2.49. My wife has also commented that I’m ‘back from the twilight zone’ so that’s great stuff. However (whilst not want to appear greedy), from reading the forum I suspect that there may be more value to be had…

On starting therapy each night, I feel a bit short of breath as if I’m not getting quite enough air and have the need to top up by mouth-breathing for a few large lungsful. This feeling probably only lasts a few minutes but is long enough to be intrusive and generates a little unwelcome anxiety.

Looking at my settings, they appear to be at their widest and I wonder if a little tweaking might alleviate this initial air supply difficulty? I’d be grateful for any suggestions.
I’ve attached my latest Oscar data as a screenshot. If something else is needed please let me know…

Thanks

John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Starting pressure problem?
Hi John,
This is fairly easy.  A minimum setting of 4 is too low and will give you that short of breath feeling you talked about.  We call that "air starved".

Reset the minimum pressure to 9 and bring the maximum down to 14 to narrow the range a bit.  This can help with pressure swings.  

If you can tolerate it, you can inch the minimum pressure up slowly (by .2cm daily) to reach 10cm.    
Also try EPR 3.

I think you'll find these settings more comfortable.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose

I'll set those up and see how I get on

Smile
Regards

John

This message is a natural product and, as such may contain errors, omissions or opinions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose

Just a note to say thank you, the settings you advised did the trick and I was much more comfortable in the initial half-hour. 

Thanks
Regards

John

This message is a natural product and, as such may contain errors, omissions or opinions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, you can post a chart here anytime if you need further advice.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,584 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,477 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 675 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 394 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.