Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Still have a high AHI, don't know what is happening
RE: Still have a high AHI, don't know what is happening
(05-18-2018, 03:34 PM)allanri Wrote: Thanks!  I’m already seeing how helpful it will be!

great, please post results tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a strong advocate for a cervical collar, not one that is so tall that you can hardly move, just enough to keep from tilting your chin down.  A cervical pillow has an opening in it and you may be able to slip your chin down between the opening so I would caution against using that style.

If the collar helps and your OA events go down, then you could lower your pressure and this may help in lowering any CA events.
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like you were never titrated.  Instead you doctor guessed at an auto range.  When you complained that your treatment was poor, the doctor switched you to CPAP at 9 (in the middle of your auto range).  It is too bad that the doctor did not look at your data because it is clear that your pressure is too low to address your obstructive sleep apnea.  If you are not going to get titrated, encourage your doctor to go back to auto mode and increase the maximum pressure limit so you can let the machine help you since your doctor's guidance is not useful.
And don't let the doctor prescribe the lower pressure of 4. That is way too low. As a starting point, set the minimum to 9 since that is closer to where your needs are.
If you do not understand what I am saying or why, let me know and I will elaborate.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the purpose of my sleep study in two days is to do the titration. The doctor wanted me to have a machine for a couple of weeks before the sleep study so that I could get used to sleeping with a mask. Sleep studies are uncomfortable enough; wrestling with something that looks like a facehugger from the movie Alien for the first time would probably make for a pretty useless assessment. 

I’ve only had the machine for 11 days ... so  maybe I’m expecting too much too soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2018, 06:28 PM)tedvpap Wrote: It looks like you were never titrated.  Instead you doctor guessed at an auto range.  When you complained that your treatment was poor, the doctor switched you to CPAP at 9 (in the middle of your auto range).  It is too bad that the doctor did not look at your data because it is clear that your pressure is too low to address your obstructive sleep apnea.  If you are not going to get titrated, encourage your doctor to go back to auto mode and increase the maximum pressure limit so you can let the machine help you since your doctor's guidance is not useful.
And don't let the doctor prescribe the lower pressure of 4.  That is way too low.  As a starting point, set the minimum to 9 since that is closer to where your needs are.  
If you do not understand what I am saying or why, let me know and I will elaborate.

I figured that your titration was next. 
Titrations are good but understand it reflects only one night; where most of the time was spent at the wrong pressure.  So when the doctor prescribes the machine settings: encourage auto, at a high enough upper pressure limit so that the machine can help you when needed, with a high enough lower limit to keep the pressure close to where it is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ted makes a good point, and your upcoming titration analysis will help a lot. I agree, that you will ultimately end up at a higher pressure, and/or using a positional apnea aid. I also agree that a single fixed pressure is not always the best approach, but a titration at least gives you a better idea than using the default minimum of 4-cm with a best-guess maximum pressure. Titration is nothing more than a trial and error approach to finding a pressure that works withing acceptable limits, often with 20 to 90 minutes of trial at that pressure. Setting auto pressure around that number usually results in better AHI than fixed pressure. Given the clusters of OA you have on the one graph posted, I think a lot of your problem is positional, and you will ultimately end up at lower pressure once you deal with that.

In any event, the next sleep study/titration will give you a lot of information to work with, including whether CA is an issue for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I’m hoping the titration reveals something that will be useful.

Now, one other thing I should mention: I’ve had several nights where - during the ramp phase - I feel like breathing is something I have to think about doing. That is, I feel like I’m having to make myself inhale and exhale. It’s a very strange, uncomfortable sensation. You feel like you might not breathe unless you force yourself to. One night, i couldn’t handle it, and i removed my mask for the rest of the night.

In addition, I often find that when I am exhaling, the back of my throat constricts, and it feels like I’m trying to force the breath out through a very tight opening, sort of like blowing through a straw (not sure if that makes sense?).  I know one of the things PAP users need to get used to is exhaling against pressure, but this particular sensation of my airway closing off as I exhale seems weird, and strangely tiring. It’s like just breathing is a workout.  

Is any of this typical?

I mentioned both of these to my doctor ... not sure if this influenced his change to my pressure settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2018, 10:03 PM)allanri Wrote: Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I’m hoping the titration reveals something that will be useful.

Now, one other thing I should mention: I’ve had several nights where - during the ramp phase - I feel like breathing is something I have to think about doing. That is, I feel like I’m having to make myself inhale and exhale. It’s a very strange, uncomfortable sensation. You feel like you might not breathe unless you force yourself to. One night, i couldn’t handle it, and i removed my mask for the rest of the night.

In addition, I often find that when I am exhaling, the back of my throat constricts, and it feels like I’m trying to force the breath out through a very tight opening, sort of like blowing through a straw (not sure if that makes sense?).  I know one of the things PAP users need to get used to is exhaling against pressure, but this particular sensation of my airway closing off as I exhale seems weird, and strangely tiring. It’s like just breathing is a workout.  

Is any of this typical?

I mentioned both of these to my doctor ... not sure if this influenced his change to my pressure settings?

It is best not to use ramp.  

The feeling you have could be due to:
1) he newness of treatment - give it time for you to get comfortable
2) difficulty exhaling against pressure - this will also improve with time
3) obstructions - higher pressure is obviously needed based on the data you posted. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, last night was a yard sale, as we used to say in my skiing days.  I was quite tired but it took my a long time to drift off. Then I woke up, and was hungry, because we'd a had late lunch/early dinner. So the machine was off for about 40 minutes.  Also, I was trying out a couple of loaner masks from my local CPAP store. I wanted to see how I'd do with nasal pillows.  The answer: not very well. I couldn't get over the sensation of having something stuck up each of my nostrils. Half way through the night I switched from the F&P Brevida to the ResMed AirFit P10.  Didn't care for either, so eventually, I went back to my F20.  In the meantime, I realized I'd forgotten to switch the mask type in the settings of my machine ... so, another period of non-sleep.  Eventually, exhausted, I took the mask off at around 5:30 ... but then, feeling guilty, put the Brevida back on at 6:30; I switched back to the pillows because I find the F20's headgear rubs the skin on my ears raw.   So, here it is, FWIW ...  Blink

[attachment=6057]
Post Reply Post Reply
So last night was good ... slept like a baby ...still a lot of OAs though. Looking forward to my sleep study tonight and having them make some significant changes to my pressure!

[attachment=6068]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 708 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,434 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.