Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Strange mask noise
Angry 
Strange mask noise
I've just woken up wide awake after going to sleep at 1am and it's alsmost 3am  as I wasn't tired. I find at the moment that my mask seems to be quite noisey. It sounds like a hissing noise as thou you were letting air out of a balloon best way to say it. It wakes me up and i find that my face feels quite warm even thou I've got the humidifer on 2. I've changed the filters and fresh water. I've even had the technician out last week as I wasn't coping with it and everything checks out I had a good moan about it to him and was quite upset with the whole thing and wasn't coping well. It doesn't seem quite right to me. I've put the resmed 100 in standby mode just now as I had to take the mask of as it was feeling a little noisey, and I'm sure it hasn't made this wooshing noise before. I'm about ready to throw this machine out the window. I can cope with most things that I've had in my life but at the moment this whole air machine and oxygen stuff if doing my head in. I don't feel rested or have more energy. I've been on it since March. I've got sleep clinic at The Royal Brompton next week. They are going to increase the pressures. So will say all this as when I see the consultant. I just need sleep. Thou one thing it has helped is with the bad headaches when I was waking up  as my carbon dioxide levels dropped in the morning. Not the most up date graph I have at the moment but it is 3am in the morning and I'm awake and logged on to lap top. Don't know what to do to get over this. I pretty good at giving most things a go. Huhsign Huh Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange mask noise
Take a look at my signature it will help you with the sleepy head posting to get the rite chart of information to help you. My mask is only noisy if iI have leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your using the F20 Air Fit or Air Touch Mask. Both can feel hot to some people. You might want to try a pillow mask like the AirFit P10. It doesn't make a lot of noise and it doesn't hug your whole face.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You are using a Resmed Lumid 100 VPAP S which is a fixed pressure bilevel machine. As best I can tell you are somehow tolerating an EPAP at 4.0 and IPAP at 14 giving you a pressure support of 10 cm. With that much pressure support, the machine is doing all the work of respiration. I don't know why you were prescribed VPAP-S and it would help to know what problem is being worked on here. The last thing I would suggest is to allow the pressure to be increased!

It would help to see some detail data, but what we can tell is that your therapy is very very fragmented and you are mostly non-compliant, getting less than 4-hours per night. When you do use the machine, you stop and start the machine repeatedly. You are clearly not comfortable and not sleeping well. This very high pressure support is also extremely stimulating, and could be the reason you awaken and can't get back to sleep.

Unless you need the machine to do all the work of respiration due to central apnea or some other condition, the pressure support is too high. If you do need the machine to do the work due to centrals, you are on the wrong machine and need an ASV auto. Do not let them just raise your pressure, or I promise your situation will be worse. If you don't have central apnea, I would simply start you at a minimum EPAP pressure of 4 or 6 and add 4 cm to that for pressure support, so 8/4 to 9/5. That setting would be mostly comfortable, but if we saw obstructive apnea, we would raise EPAP pressure, and if we saw hypopnea, we would raise IPAP pressure. The following link is the Resmed recommended titration protocol, and the VPAP-S titration approach is discussed on page 35. https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

I have no idea what is being attempted by your "consultants", but they are nuts. This is not the way that machine is intended to be used. Please post back with your diagnostic information and what is being tried here. Is this a teatment for obstructive sleep apnea, hypoventilation or some other problem?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,260 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,209 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 594 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.