Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Strange noise preventing therapy!
Strange noise preventing therapy!
I've used a ResMed CPAP for over ten years.  When my original S8 Escape started malfunctioning, I began the process of getting a new machine.  Since I'd gone on Medicare AFTER first starting CPAP therapy, it was more complicated, but eventually I had to do another sleep study, it took two weeks for my doctor to get back to me with the results, but finally I got my new machine, a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset.  I've now used it for three nights.  I've had terrible nights each time.  What I noticed the first night was that after perhaps an hour of trying to get to sleep, a strange sound disturbed me.   Did the noise come from me or the machine?  I don't know.  My machine provider  had no suggestions. I tried several remedies:  changing from the small nasal pillows to medium, adjusting ramp times, even resorting to using my old mask and old pillows, which were the medium size.  The latter helped the 2nd night but not the 3rd.  My husband was restless and sleepless that night and he reported hearing “weird sounds from the new machine.”  He seemed to feel it was the machine and not me, but I am still not sure about this.  Whatever it is, it is keeping me from sleeping well and I am desperate!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange noise preventing therapy!
Some people, with good hearing, can hear the motor speed up, then slow down with each breath.
Hard to diagnose a sound from: “weird sounds from the new machine.”

Why don't you pop over and read this thread to see if it's the same problem:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-A10-noise
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I really chuckled over your reply!  Actually I have horrible hearing.  I wear hearing aids, my second pair, and even so, struggle in most social situations.  Of course, when sleeping, I am without my aids!  So I don't think what I am hearing is the motor speeding up and slowing down.  Nor does my problem sound like the one you linked me to in the other thread.  Thanks anyway!  I'll be going back to the medical supply company that provided the machine and discuss this with them and perhaps they might have a way to test it or to diagnose the problem.  I could actually be a mask issue and not the machine itself.  Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a thumping sound when it changed from inhale to exhale. 

It was the night stand perfectly balanced on two legs. Breathing caused it to rock back and forth on the other two. 

Strange things happen.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for responding, but this sound isn't like a thumping.  I wish I had words to describe it, but I don't.  My husband called it a bubbling sound.  I asked him, "You mean, like water bubbling?"  He answered, "No, not like water.  It's hard to put the sound into words."  Exactly!  I had tried to describe it to my tech person at the med supply place and simply was unable to do so.  My daughter now suggests I turn on my phone and RECORD the sound!  Good idea!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another thread on noise to look at: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-inhaling
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Agabaga,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, and I hope you get your machine problems straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  Going back to my provider and hope they have answers for me then.  Hope they can see me tomorrow.  Daughter suggested that I RECORD the annoying sound to let them hear it.  That I will do with my phone.  After it happens the first time, will turn on the video and record the next few times.  I know it'll happen, as it's now happened three nights in a row.  

There are lots of abbreviations used in the various posts.  I'd love to know what all of them mean?  Is there a list somewhere?????
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a list of Acronyms at: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
Some of the others are common use shorthand for forums.

Your noise might be a seal from the water tank to the outlet. They should check that the seals are properly in place.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
A "bubbling" sound makes me wonder about condensation in the hose.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 808 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.