Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Strap Pushes Gum Into Teeth
CPAP Strap Pushes Gum Into Teeth
I use a ResMed F20 Touch mask that works for the sleep apnea. However, the lower straps cause my cheeks to push into my teeth and irritate the inside of the cheek and gum. I have tried upper and lower mouth guards, but they do not cover the back molar sufficiently to prevent the cheek/gum irritation. My dentist is somewhat at a loss as to what to do as am I. I am not sure if the damage is only due to my lower teeth; my upper back teeth may be dropping down over the inside of the cheek as well.

I have to use a steroid mouthwash which is not the best thing I could be doing. 

Nasal masks have not really worked since I tend to have air escape between my lips sometimes as well as have sinus congestion during the season. 

Has anyone seen or heard of this problem and/or know of a solution?

It would be nice if I could put something between the cheek and the teeth to provide a protective cushion.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Strap Pushes Gum Into Teeth
I wish I could think of something, but I can't seem to bring anything up.  Sorry.  Apart from going through the hassle of finding another headgear that works, maybe adapting one that's 'close' to your cushion...dunno.  Or, try a nasal mask again, but try a chin strap, or a cervical collar, a high one that keeps your lower jaw up to the top jaw.
Post Reply Post Reply
Putting something between the teeth and the gum might noit be the best idea, it could be a choking hazard.

However, you could try putting something between your mask straps and your cheeks to spread the load, thin foam or even just cardboard.
If it is the front teeth it would be difficult to say the least.  But you said molar so I think molars.  You do not need to tighten the mask so tight as cause problems. There are other masks and there is even one like a fireman's mask, but even it will have some contact with your cheeks.
I think I picked the right video, try following it and as you will see he does not tighten it so much as it digs into his face.
If all else fails and no one comes up with something better I would try something to spread the load across your face, it might not need to be thick, just take the strain off a bit.  But do not overtighten your mask, if it leaks a lot it is the wrong size.

I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to update your Mask in your profile mike, though it might change when you fix the issue.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Great idea about trying to spread the load. I do have railroad track imprints left by the lower straps. I think I will see how loose I can go and still use the mask.

I use a large -- the medium rides up too close to the mouth.

I will give some thought to the nasal mask again. The collar sounds like it would affect the sleep. I'll go out and look at chin straps too. Only problem is that it is possible to motorboat through the lips even with a chin strap.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2020, 07:37 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: You need to update your Mask in your profile mike, though it might change when you fix the issue.

Done -- thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do experience masks pushing on bad places of my mouth, and affecting my teeth. This is one reason I switch masks periodically (every few months). I tend to rotate between several different masks that work for me, and that gives my teeth & mouth a break.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2020, 02:23 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I do experience masks pushing on bad places of my mouth, and affecting my teeth.  This is one reason I switch masks periodically (every few months). I tend to rotate between several different masks that work for me, and that gives my teeth & mouth a break.

I have a N20 coming in on Saturday that I am going to try. I’ve used it in the past so it shouldn’t be an issue. I am getting a chin strap this time around. It will definitely make a difference on the strap tracks. Thx for the response.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mike, a number of members have given the Knightsbridge Dual Chin Strap high marks for comfort because it pulls upwad, not back. Its design should help you with the strap comfort issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. When I first looked at the Knightsbridge Dual Chin Strap I was worried about the impact of pressure over the ears. I’ll go take another look at it.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 368 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,540 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Chin Strap for Full Face Mask? newtothis1 5 649 01-01-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: newtothis1
  Chin Strap or Cervical Collar with Nasal Pillows? Columbiabill 2 558 12-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.