Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie help
Newbie help
Hello,
I've been recently diagnosed with severe OSA.
At this point I won't get into what got me to this point.
I need help moving forward. I've tried to read up on the subject. I'm in somewhat denial as to even needing a CPAP.I think I sleep well, 8-9 hours daily and wake up mostly just to change positions??
I'm new to all the terms and acronyms.One being AHI, my sleep test doesn't show AHI, only REI,OAI,CAI and desat. I've had 2 home sleep tests and 1 sleep lab CPAP test.
In my opinion my lab sleep test went horrible. Technician and Dr.said it went well. I only sleep for 4.5 hours broken with zero REM, 85% stage N2 sleep.CPAP was completely foreign and strange. Hard to breath out.They determined I need 12cm and slept for 44 minutes with AHI of 0.
Bottom line is I guess I need CPAP. I don't need more heath problems. I'm worried about getting used to it. I like the idea of a APAP for better breathing out.
I need advice on quality machines.Im a nose breather and will try both pillow and nostril masks. My test was with pillow.From what I'm reading these machines are not very reliable but are expensive.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sorry for the fragmented rant.
I really feel stupid and lost.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie help
Welcome Iwah, look at the home page, second post describing exactly what machine you need to get. Spend some time reading and educating yourself, it’s all there and will really get you started on the right path quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. You’ve come to the right place. At one point CPAP was new to all us and we were just as confused and apprehensive. Hopefully we can address your concerns and help as you begin this journey. Getting used to it is harder for some than others. Many of us have reached the point of being entirely comfortable with it. Resmed machines are quite reliable and are the best choice for a number of reasons. They make several models. You want the Resmed  airsense 10 or airsense 11 autoset. That you get the autoset model is most important. It permits you to have fixed or variable pressure.
Here’s a link to a comprehensive article on machine choices: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

AHI is the average number of apnea plus hypoxia events per hour. CAI is the aveage number of central apneas per hour. This is an important destruction. Obstructive apnea are due to restriction of the airway.  Central apnea are the a lack in the drive to breath, They require different treatment  if they are predominant. If possible, please post copies of your sleep study results with personal information redacted.  I won’t go into more now. Hopefully I haven’nt confused you more. Don’t feel stupid. I know from experience how challenging this an be and that you may not get clear and good advice from your Dr. and other professionals. Wish you the best.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have read that post and the Wiki article.
I guess my main concerns are DME or purchase outright? I have not met my deductible so I'm paying either way.
Also after reading consumeraffairs cpap-machine reviews
the reliability of these machines seem subpar at best. Maybe that is a positive reasin to go with DME so it can be returned or exchanged?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Melman.
Yes, my doctor is very vague and inpatient with my questions. I have very limited pulmonary choices where I live.
Here is the worst of my two sleep tests.

Attached Files
.jpg   20230122_122316.jpg (Size: 530.01 KB / Downloads: 45)
.jpg   20230122_122222.jpg (Size: 971.18 KB / Downloads: 34)
Post Reply Post Reply
Your problem is predominantly obstructive so the Resmed airsense 10 or 11 autoset is your best choice. If your not covered by insurance try one of the suppliers from the list at the top of the page. I believe most DMEs inflate prices. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a low hour used machine on craig's list. You just need to be sure it's not from a home with smokers. I disagree with the reviews saying the machines are unreliable. My Resmed as10 machine was 6 years old when I replaced it and still ran like the day I bought it. I now keep it as a backup.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You will need a prescription for the machine and supplies. Ask your Dr. to specify resmed airsense 10 or 11 autoset, dispense as written, if you choose a DME. Otherwise they may substitute a different make or model.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
My script says heated humidifier, heated tubing via Resmed Airfit N30 or mask of patients choice.
I take that as I can select any machine??
Glad to hear about reliability.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope! So long as it meets the written order, the DME can provide you any brand of their choosing. You need to have the doc specify the brand you want, and include the phrase, "Dispense as written".

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm leaning towards the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.The card to cloud model. Is card to cloud ok? Also the 10 because it seems to do everything the 11 does for less $ and has a longer track record of high ratings. Thoughts.....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 12 39 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.