Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling
CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling
I should probably also ask my sleep doctor but I will ask here first.  What can I use while camping or maybe going out of country in lieu of my machine?  I just want to stop the snoring temporarily.  My sister uses a device called ZQuiet that stops her snoring.  Any recommendations?  I have moderate apnea and use a setting of 7.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling
There are battery packs you can use while camping.

As for traveling out of country? Take it with you. Look carefully at the fine print on the power supply or case. It will probably say "110/220V 50/60Hz" and that means all you need are a couple of adapters so your power cord plug can match up with the local outlets.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will enjoy your trips more if you take your machine. But there are things you can do.

You can sleep in a recliner or otherwise at a sitting, only slightly reclined position.
You can make it so you never sleep on your back. Like duct tape a tennis ball to the back of your shirt. Some even use a backpack with tennis balls or something painful to discourage laying on their back.

There are several mini-CPAPs available now so that's an option.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.  I should clarify that I am looking specifically for something to use as a temporary substitute.  I will have to pack very light and will possibly be in the middle of nowhere for up to two weeks.  Do the mouthpieces work as a temporary substitute?

I am a side/stomach sleeper so the tennis balls will not be necessary.  Good idea, though!
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you have been specifically told you never roll onto your back, you don't really know if you never sleep that way. Several years ago, I would have sworn I never sleep on my back. Ha. I was told I fall asleep on my side, holding my body pillow like I am supposed to. Then I rolled onto my back and slept that way the rest of the night. About an hour before I woke up, I rolled back onto my side and wrapped around my body pillow. Since I woke up that way, I assumed I slept that way.

But I digressed.

Dental devices sometimes work. You have to be fitted for it. With your treatment pressure being so low, it may work for you.

This is assuming you have Obstructive SA. If you have central, your machine is all you have.

Some of the mini-CPAPs have external batteries but they would need to be recharged. A folding solar charger might work. And the battery packs for the regular xPAPs are getting smaller and more lightweight.

Test all these options out before you go anywhere. Work out the kinks, first. You can even test to see if you can go without your CPAP for that long. I suggest getting a cheap recording oximeter and using that to track yourself.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I have gone for a night or two without the "machine" before with no apparent ill effect.  The only problem I had was sometimes waking up from a "snort".  I saw the many cheap oximeters on Amazon.  This would be used to see if I am getting enough O2 saturation when not using my "machine", correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. Just make sure it is a RECORDING one and not a spot check.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Philips DreamStation now has a "travel" CPAP machine available.  It is very small and could fit into a purse.  I have heard it is pricey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Traveling with my CPAP and accessories is a bag of its own.

Has anyone tried the ANTI-SNORING device that fits in the nasal area?  Pros or cons???

ALSO, traveling with friends / family, it's embarrassing to set up the unit with face mask and headgear -- for me anyway.

THANKS!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a CPAP for over 20 years, my original sleep test was over 100 AHI's, so I have a problem for sure.  Unless you have extremely mild OSA I would also suggest you use a battery CPAP.  I tried a form your own mouthpiece for awhile and it was almost worthless.  After a Derecho two years ago I went without power for my CPAP for 13 days.  I slept on my stomach, I also tried sleeping in a recliner chair to hold down the AHI's.  For a few days it didn't bother me much, after that it was not a plesant experience at all, for me or anyone else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 74 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 706 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 590 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,833 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  [Equipment] CPAP and Camping Dogberto 2 583 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dogberto
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 655 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  Dry Camping with CPAP ApneaticBill 2 807 06-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Last Post: ApneaticBill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.