Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Sudden Increase in Pressure
Sudden Increase in Pressure
Hello Apnea Board,

This is my first post here.

Medical History:
I have a medical history of airway/tracheal problems since birth which involves complete airway reconstruction. I have had many surgeries in India and the in Switzerland. I was again recently operated for a surgery of trachea as well as larynx. The doctor told me to use CPAP as I was diagnosed with sleep apnea as my base of my tongue is heavy and it falls back as soon as I sleep  and it creates breathing distress. 

Began CPAP:
During post operation period(April 2017) my pressure was around 8-9.5 and rarely touching 10. I used a Remstar System One.
My AHI was around 0.2 - 0.4 which is perfect. 

A polysomnography test detected an AHI of 2.1, to whih my doctor was also shocked buyt he said to continue use CPAP irrespective of the polysomnography results as I have compromised airway still after the surgery, and it will be bad for my airway If i sleep withou CPAP as I will suck air and It will create negative pressure inside

I returned back to India from Switzerland and purchased AirSense 10 w/ Humidifier and ClimateLineAir

From 1st week of May to Mid May:

Mask: Airfit P10 Pillows
AHI: 0.1-0.4
Pressure: Same as above.

Mid May to Till Date:

AHI: 0.1-0.4
Mask: Philips Respironics Wisp Nasal
Pressure: 13-15

I dont know why there has been sudden increase in my pressure. Is it due to the change in Mask. Also I am getting significant major leaks with Wisp Mask.

Kindly help me!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden Increase in Pressure
It is typical to need a little higher pressure with a nasal mask compared to a nasal pillow mask, but that may not be the only reason why your pressure would increase.

Did you change the setting on your Cpap from nasal pillow mask to nasal?

Why did you switch to the Wisp?   If you like it better, you will have to get the leaks under control.  You could try nasal liners as some say that helps.

When you get a few more posts in, post a screenshot of you data.  Follow the tutorials in my signature line.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CPAPGuy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You need to change your mask settings from pillows to nasal.
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2017, 12:30 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It is typical to need a little higher pressure with a nasal mask compared to a nasal pillow mask, but that may not be the only reason why your pressure would increase.

Did you change the setting on your Cpap from nasal pillow mask to nasal?

Why did you switch to the Wisp?   If you like it better, you will have to get the leaks under control.  You could try nasal liners as some say that helps.

When you get a few more posts in, post a screenshot of you data.  Follow the tutorials in my signature line.

(06-29-2017, 04:47 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi CPAPGuy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You need to change your mask settings from pillows to nasal.
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.

Thank you for your replies!

Yes I changed the mask setting from Pillows to Nasal before switching. It has been around more than 3 months using Airsense 10 and my average pressure is constant around 12-12.5. So as long as it stays constant, I am happy.

Once again thank you

Stay Healthy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 0 13 37 minutes ago
Last Post: Daveman
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 330 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,263 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 431 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 405 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 365 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.