Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Supplies
CPAP Supplies
Hey everyone, I recently had an incident occur for the second or third time that prompted me to join the forum and see what we can do about it.

So while on vacation recently, I realized that I had left my mask at home... bummer, this trip is going to suck.  My wife says let’s try to find a medical supply store, maybe you can get a new one.  Sure enough, there’s a place within 5 mins.  We go over there and I find a mask on the shelf but the store employee says I can’t buy it without a Rx.

How many people has this happened to?  How ludicrous is this?  A CPAP mask is not harmful to anyone in any way, it’s not Oxycontin (sp).... I understand needing a Rx for the machine itself, but the supplies are harmless.  What can we do about this?  We should be able to buy mask, hose, filter without Rx.

Comments?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Supplies
We haven't gone on vacation or hit the open road in the last couple of years. But, when we do, and if I happen to forget something CPAP related, I ain't gonna worry about it, cause I ain't taking it with me. 

A week or two w/o it ain't gonna kill me.  Bigwink

In regards to the supplies that shouldn't need an RX, good luck with that. You'll be fighting an uphill battle with the DME industry.
Post Reply Post Reply
The rules in the US say that you cannot buy a complete mask without a prescription. But what you can do is buy the parts and put your own together so if this happens again buy a cushion, frame and pillows hose etc and put your own mask together.
Post Reply Post Reply
A complete mask requires a prescription. However, mask parts do not. You can legally buy the items separately without the need for a script. If you still need a prescription, I would look for a nearby med clinic (doc-in-a-box). Explain your traveling situation and see if they will write one and how much it will cost.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could have called your doctor and asked him/her to fax a copy of your script to the supply company.

All good advice above, but in the future, be sure to always take a copy of your prescription when traveling.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm surprised that the store didn't offer to contact your doctor's office and get the prescription for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 148 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 389 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,575 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Where to send unused/unopened CPAP supplies? highrateleaker 1 523 11-25-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.