Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Supplies
CPAP Supplies
I had a question concerning CPAP supplies. My medical supply company calls me about once a month about ordering a new mask cushion and filter. I have read when some people talk about not replacing them this often. So far, I have ordered a new one each month, although I don't really notice any difference from my old one to a new one. Should I keep ordering a new one each month, or could I extend this to say, once every three months. I can understand replacing the filter each month at least. Also, what is the best way to clean your mask and tubing? I have read about using distilled white vinegar and water (I am assuming distilled water). Presently, I clean my tubing, mask and water reservoir once a week using liquid hand soap in some warm water in the sink. Then I let it air dry. The hose I hang up in the shower, and to get rid of excess water before I use it, I run the machine with the hose connected, but not the mask, for a few minutes. Is this wrong? I was also curious on how you read the little "card" inside the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Supplies
Hi doblackb,
As far as cleaning your mask, water chamber and hose gose, you can just clean them the way you are doing it. You don't necessarily need to usedistilled water to clean them, a little venegar is ok, too.
I just clean mine in a sink of warm water with mild dish soap, rence, dry, and I'm ready to go.
Using your machine to dry your hose is alright, it doesn't hurt it.
Hang in there for other suggestions on cleaning and how to read your SD card.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people like to swing their hose around in the air after they wash it to sort of spin the water out. I think that would be fine, but I'd recommend disconnecting it from the machine first.

As to the card? You can download and install the Sleepyhead software from this site. Look at the top of the thread and you'll see the link. Then read up a little on how to use it to read the data from your card. One quick thing; slide the little switch on the card to the "locked" position before you put it in your computer, then "unlock" it when you put it back in your Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
doblackb, in Australia our equipment isn't covered by insurance so we have to make it last, the filters last years, my first mask and cushion lasted 2years and I only changed because I upgraded to a Quattro Air, I have been using the cushion on that mask for over a year now. So for you 3 months will be fine. I pretty much do the same as you as for the cleaning, I do mine twice a week but that is a personal choice. If you are using mask liners the cushions should last longer and make it more comfortable for you.

Below is the link to sleepyhead and some Youtube video's on it
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhead Link to Sleepyhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAnzBVWYD4 Link to Sleepyhead Youtube Video part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmhXkmeJDIM Link to Sleepyhead Youtube Video part 2
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2014, 01:58 PM)doblackb Wrote: I had a question concerning CPAP supplies. My medical supply company calls me about once a month about ordering a new mask cushion and filter. I have read when some people talk about not replacing them this often. So far, I have ordered a new one each month, although I don't really notice any difference from my old one to a new one. Should I keep ordering a new one each month, or could I extend this to say, once every three months. I can understand replacing the filter each month at least. Also, what is the best way to clean your mask and tubing? I have read about using distilled white vinegar and water (I am assuming distilled water). Presently, I clean my tubing, mask and water reservoir once a week using liquid hand soap in some warm water in the sink. Then I let it air dry. The hose I hang up in the shower, and to get rid of excess water before I use it, I run the machine with the hose connected, but not the mask, for a few minutes. Is this wrong? I was also curious on how you read the little "card" inside the machine?

I suggest ordering new parts like this until you have at least two sets of spares. It's good to have spares in case something breaks. Then only order spares when the old ones actually need replacement.

Then, once a week or so, clean the set you're using really good, and sit it aside to dry for a week or so.

ResMed says to replace the filters every 6 months or when they get dirty. A dirty air filter actually filters the air better than a clean one, but it restricts the air flow and can make the machine overheat if it gets too dirty.

What does it say next to the power button on your S9 machine? Some S9 machines put a lot of data on the card, some of them don't.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Order when you wish (and can get the insurance to pay or when you must).

At first, I took ALL of the offers for "stuff" because I wanted backups (hose, mask, cushions etc.)

Then the puppy ate two masks (and maybe a hose) so I took another.

Will take the next mask as well to get back to "2 decent ones".

If you can't afford it (even the co-pay) and your current mask etc is fine then just decline.

If you really don't need it at all, just decline.

If the cost doesn't matter to you and you need it or want a backup take (only) what you need.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
If there is no cost to you, get as much as often as you can~! Try different masks as well. Stockpile and do not open til you actually need the item. I lost my healthcare for almost 4-6 yrs (real bad on dates) and I made it through because of old new parts I had never used.

Of course, it is a different story if you gotta pay out of your pocket. I *needed* 3 new hoses in 12yrs. Stuff like that. I've made a mask work for almost three years before. Part of it is simply you. Many of us get more 'casual' about cleaning and/or replacement as the years go by.

Daily mask cleaning?? Hehe ...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 152 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 389 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,576 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Where to send unused/unopened CPAP supplies? highrateleaker 1 523 11-25-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.