Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Surviving night with machine kaput
Surviving night with machine kaput
Gulp.
Struggling since May without much help (insurance wouldn't pay for proper sleep study and follow-up). Anyway, have been using Devilbiss Intelipap 2 and experimenting with various masks. Now on Medicare, have scheduled a sleep study with a new doctor for next month. However, my machine is giving me an error code tonight ("unknown power source") and will not operate at all. I'm a bit psychologically dependent even on my minimal good results so far.
Advice on facing a night with no machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Surviving night with machine kaput
Try sleeping on your side or in a recliner. It won't be great but it's better than nothing.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Relax and do not get uptight or panic.  You know your condition so getting upset will not help the matter.  Attitude goes a long way.  In some sort of comparison (but not exactly the same situation)  I have been on asthma medicine for a long time and control it on daily medication, very rarely have I needed my rescue medicine because the regular daily meds keep it in check.  There have been a few times, however, that an attack triggered by an unknown source has caught be off guard without my inhaler.  but...

...knowledge is key.  Knowledge of your situation will get you through this temporary inconvenience.  Realize your situation and accept it.  get though it knowing that you will be OK helps.  Think positive.  Get comfortable.  This is how I get through my rare asthma attacks.  I know what it is and what is happening and I do not add to the condition by worrying about it.

I find that in less than ideal conditions that resting in a recliner is more comfortable for me.  Do not get upset that normal sleep may not happen.  Redefine your night slumber.  Whenever I have a restless night yet I need respite to be able to function at work the next day I redefine it for me.  Don't feel you need to get sleep, but relax and get REST.  Restfulness to relax enough to take several short "catnaps" when put back-to-back can make a relaxing condition to get YOU through the night without worrying so much about not getting so-called "sleep."

Put your mindset such that good "rest" might be just what you need.

I wish you a peaceful night and have NO doubt you will get it Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Wisdom and kindness in responses. Thank you.
Well acquainted with recliner. 
How odd on this forum that I don’t see a smiley option with “zzZZZZzzzz”
Post Reply Post Reply
Similar to what Walla Walla mentioned; I'd try the recliner if it works for you. Before I had any CPAP equipment, that's what I had to do at times to get some restful sleep. Wishing you find success.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2017, 10:54 PM)WOMB Wrote: How odd on this forum that I don’t see a smiley option with “zzZZZZzzzz”

Sleep-on-pillow Bed
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends on how long you can do without your machine. I could not wait for the doctor/DME to get all the appointments together and bought an S9 auto machine off of Craigslist. You could also buy one via Amazon. Neither requires a prescription, which is what will hold you up every where else.
Post Reply Post Reply
WOMB, you are getting an unrecognized power alert. This may be a simple malfunction of the power supply for your Devillbiss Intellipap2. I am seeing these online for $24 to $50. Get one on order. I'm sure it will be returnable if you find you don't need it. A power adapter is the most common part to malfunction which is why it is an advantage when it is external. This could be a cheap easy repair. If you have a Batteries Plus or other electronics store nearby, they may also be able to find an adapter that will match the DC output of your adapter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WOMB,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with getting your machine to work. Untill then, it sounds like your recliner is going to be your best bet.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,273 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 551 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 841 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 885 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 441 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,776 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  AirSense 10 Autoset Humidifier Kaput PWKopy 1 778 08-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Hoagie73

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.