Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit F10
Humidifier: Hi
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Swallowing air
Hi! I am new to CPAP therapy and need some "help".

I have the ResMed S9 and an using a FFM (ResMed AirFit F10) at this time. Surprisingly I get more claustrophobic with the nasal masks and pillows than the FFM. However, I am a very active side and tummy sleeper. I CAN and have been sleeping this way with my FFM surprisingly with no problems (using pillows and blankets creatively). BUT, I have woken up several times with very painful air bubbles in my chest during the night. Why? When I fall asleep with my mouth open I still don't "breathe" from it. I noticed last night when my mouth even slightly started to open air was being rushed into my cheeks. Any fix for this?

I'm thinking about switching to the Wisp so I can sleep more or longer on my tummy side (with less face marks) but need you guy's advice. Finally, I was also told it was "dangerous" to open your mouth or try to breathe with it open if you are using a nasal mask. Should I be scared? HELP!!!
04-22-2015 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
worn_out_in_lebanon Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F20 (newest Resmed ffm)
Humidifier: Included, ClimateLine tubing
CPAP Pressure: 13-15, EPR:0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: I.T. Project Manager. Started CPAP therapy March 16, 2015. Untreated AHI 39.

Sex: Male

RE: Swallowing air
I get some air if I am swallowing while sleeping or going to sleep. Like when I had a head cold a week ago and some post-nasal drip going on. Or if I'm still salivating a bit if I mask up too soon after brushing my teeth.
04-22-2015 05:21 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi tk29,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Swallowing air, (aerophagia,) is fairly common with CPAP therapy.
You can use pillows to raise your head or, raise the head of your bed some and see if that will help with that.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
04-22-2015 06:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

(04-22-2015 03:41 PM)tk29 Wrote:  Hi! I am new to CPAP therapy and need some "help".

I have the ResMed S9 and an using a FFM (ResMed AirFit F10) at this time. Surprisingly I get more claustrophobic with the nasal masks and pillows than the FFM. However, I am a very active side and tummy sleeper. I CAN and have been sleeping this way with my FFM surprisingly with no problems (using pillows and blankets creatively). BUT, I have woken up several times with very painful air bubbles in my chest during the night. Why? When I fall asleep with my mouth open I still don't "breathe" from it. I noticed last night when my mouth even slightly started to open air was being rushed into my cheeks. Any fix for this?

I'm thinking about switching to the Wisp so I can sleep more or longer on my tummy side (with less face marks) but need you guy's advice. Finally, I was also told it was "dangerous" to open your mouth or try to breathe with it open if you are using a nasal mask. Should I be scared? HELP!!!

Hi tk29,
Welcome to the world of CPAP!
If you are thinking of switching to a nasal mask or a nasal pillow mask, you will have to breath through your nose only. I've never heard of it being "dangerous" to open your mouth during therapy, but there are unpleasant side effects....dry mouth, large leaks. If you open your mouth, the air will escape, and depending on how often that happens, it could affect your therapy. Your machine cannot accurately detect apneas if you have a lot of leaks.
You can try a chin strap to keep your mouth from opening. There is also a trick to keep your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth. This creates a seal, so that air cannot escape should you open your mouth. This takes practice, but once you master it, you will notice a difference.

OpalRose
04-22-2015 07:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Difficulty swallowing and singing giftofsleep 6 399 09-29-2016 05:23 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it? Snurkel 2 313 07-23-2016 08:04 AM
Last Post: Snurkel
  reflux due to swallowing air Lisamarieknits 5 769 11-26-2015 09:25 PM
Last Post: pnman-55
  Bloated Stomach/ Air swallowing Judy1843 12 2,333 08-13-2015 04:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Amara view issues, air swallowing.... Recipefordisaster 16 3,932 07-30-2015 08:54 AM
Last Post: iSnore
  swallowing air/bloating chrysogognus 7 2,206 03-18-2015 07:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  1 1/2 usage - swallowing and gag reflex problems TKMomma60 12 2,704 02-23-2015 12:14 PM
Last Post: OpalRose