Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Swallowing air
Swallowing air
Hi! I am new to CPAP therapy and need some "help".

I have the ResMed S9 and an using a FFM (ResMed AirFit F10) at this time. Surprisingly I get more claustrophobic with the nasal masks and pillows than the FFM. However, I am a very active side and tummy sleeper. I CAN and have been sleeping this way with my FFM surprisingly with no problems (using pillows and blankets creatively). BUT, I have woken up several times with very painful air bubbles in my chest during the night. Why? When I fall asleep with my mouth open I still don't "breathe" from it. I noticed last night when my mouth even slightly started to open air was being rushed into my cheeks. Any fix for this?

I'm thinking about switching to the Wisp so I can sleep more or longer on my tummy side (with less face marks) but need you guy's advice. Finally, I was also told it was "dangerous" to open your mouth or try to breathe with it open if you are using a nasal mask. Should I be scared? HELP!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Swallowing air
I get some air if I am swallowing while sleeping or going to sleep. Like when I had a head cold a week ago and some post-nasal drip going on. Or if I'm still salivating a bit if I mask up too soon after brushing my teeth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tk29,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Swallowing air, (aerophagia,) is fairly common with CPAP therapy.
You can use pillows to raise your head or, raise the head of your bed some and see if that will help with that.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2015, 03:41 PM)tk29 Wrote: Hi! I am new to CPAP therapy and need some "help".

I have the ResMed S9 and an using a FFM (ResMed AirFit F10) at this time. Surprisingly I get more claustrophobic with the nasal masks and pillows than the FFM. However, I am a very active side and tummy sleeper. I CAN and have been sleeping this way with my FFM surprisingly with no problems (using pillows and blankets creatively). BUT, I have woken up several times with very painful air bubbles in my chest during the night. Why? When I fall asleep with my mouth open I still don't "breathe" from it. I noticed last night when my mouth even slightly started to open air was being rushed into my cheeks. Any fix for this?

I'm thinking about switching to the Wisp so I can sleep more or longer on my tummy side (with less face marks) but need you guy's advice. Finally, I was also told it was "dangerous" to open your mouth or try to breathe with it open if you are using a nasal mask. Should I be scared? HELP!!!

Hi tk29,
Welcome to the world of CPAP!
If you are thinking of switching to a nasal mask or a nasal pillow mask, you will have to breath through your nose only. I've never heard of it being "dangerous" to open your mouth during therapy, but there are unpleasant side effects....dry mouth, large leaks. If you open your mouth, the air will escape, and depending on how often that happens, it could affect your therapy. Your machine cannot accurately detect apneas if you have a lot of leaks.
You can try a chin strap to keep your mouth from opening. There is also a trick to keep your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth. This creates a seal, so that air cannot escape should you open your mouth. This takes practice, but once you master it, you will notice a difference.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 526 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 545 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
  Problem swallowing using nasal pillows mask kysbie 2 858 07-06-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Air swallowing in throat EmaNTD 1 912 10-14-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Canuck 2
Sad Still swallowing air Drexette 0 717 03-07-2020, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Drexette
  Leaks, drooling, and swallowing, oh my! tmoody 7 1,874 11-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.