Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Sweet morning smell.....
Sweet morning smell.....
I'M just wondering.....does everyone get that sweet, baby powder smell when they first take off their mask in the morning? (or evening, which ever the case may be)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sweet morning smell.....
I do. I use pillow masks, so I figure it's just something that softens the plastic faux-rubber stuff. The heat from your skin warms the material and causes the smell to be a lot more apparent, but you won't smell it when the mask is on because of the air flow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds scientific, I like it. It's like baby powder first thing in the morning!
.....Have a blessed day!.....

Mike S
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes, mine smells like flowers in the morning!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite a few people have reported anomalies in smell with CPAP. Sometimes more acute sense of smell, sometimes, "phantom" smells.

It might be some sort of effect that you're not smelling yourself, your clothes, your cosmetics, etc. for 8 hours while sleeping because the air is coming from the input to the CPAP machine, instead of from the air immediately around you.

It might also be that CPAP clears out your sinuses or shrinks tissues in your nose with the pressure.

Whatever it is, quite a few people have noticed it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me this morning not so much. Woke up in the middle of the night and I had been breathing through my nose which I don't normally do. Bad breath in a full face mask. Ewwww. I had to get up and brush my teeth and use mouth wash. Note to self if you eat smelly food, you will smell it in the face mask.
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I have oft awoken in the morning to the scent of fresh puppy poo.... I suspect that is different than the smell you are describing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2015, 07:58 AM)H2Daddy Wrote: I'M just wondering.....does everyone get that sweet, baby powder smell when they first take off their mask in the morning? (or evening, which ever the case may be)

I definitely do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2015, 01:33 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I have oft awoken in the morning to the scent of fresh puppy poo.... I suspect that is different than the smell you are describing.

Nothin like methane cuddles in the morning...Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a very keen sense of smell and this is driving me crazy! I can’t seem to get rid of the sweet smell in my sinuses. I have tried every nasal spray, wash etc. It’s like the smell is in the pores (of there are pores) in my nose/sinuses. I read that the cpap picks up any smells in the room. Even off of the sheets. Wondering if I need to switch to fragrance free laundry soap? Any suggestions from folks who have this same experience? I need to do something as it makes me nauseous. TIA
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 263 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,935 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  [Equipment] Do you turn off your Airsense in the morning after using? dharma2255 9 248 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 196 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 242 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,450 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.