Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Switching from nasal pillows to full face
Switching from nasal pillows to full face
I have been using nasal pillows since starting cpap therapy, but am having problems with leaking due to my mouth opening. A chin strap didnt help, wouldnt stay in place.

Have a QuattroFX full face mask, but now have a problem with leaking around mask, air blowing in eyes, but main problem is snoring has come back with a vengeance, and dry mouth. I can only tolerate a few hours with this mask. I just would like to know why the snoring has come back, and what I can do to stop it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switching from nasal pillows to full face
Hi rml4210, welcome to the forum
Snoring may indicate pressure need some adjustment but if the air leak out instead of keeping the airways open, this also might cause pressure drop and snoring may result
You might want to look a different chinstrap, some are better than others and can help keeping the mask in place

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rml4210,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a different chinstrap before you give up on the pillows. Full-face-masks (FFMs) can be hard, )but not impossible,) to manage. They can be very proned to leaks.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just noticed your pressure on the low side, @ 6, leak should not be a problem for you
Make sure the cushion is washed and not creased also fitted correctly, ResMed call it ... swing and seal method

Quattro FX fitting guide (video 5) http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA23652FAF5627F3F
Quattro FX videos http://www.resmed.com/us/products/quattr...s&sec=true
Quattro FX user guide http://www.resmed.com/us/products/quattr...clinicians

Post Reply Post Reply
It's a brand new mask - last night fit and leak were better; also turned up humidifier so dryness wasn't as bad, but snoring is still an issue. When I downloaded the data to Rescan software the flow limitation when I use the Quattro is off the scale and the Leak chart also shows more leakage than when I use the nasal pillows. I'm not sure exactly what this represents.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it true that with a lower setting you cannot use a full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
rml4210,
Did you make sure to set it to Full Face Mask in settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2013, 02:22 PM)samurai Wrote: Is it true that with a lower setting you cannot use a full face mask?

AFAIK, you can still use a ffm, but there may need to be some adjustments. Biggest thing I have heard about when it comes to ffm and lower pressures is the feeling of air starvation (i.e. you don't feel you're getting enough air).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have given up on the Quattro and returned it. Not sure what to try next.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only been on therapy a week but was blowing up a storm through my mouth with Swift FX nasal pillows; but when I finally got things adjusted right, I have almost no leak and it's very comfortable on. Still waiting for the chinstrap I really wanted, but I'd say try different chinstraps. I'm now using a Ruby Red (or a knock-off, not sure ... my DME gave it to me to use while waiting for the Respironics Premium). With work, I think you'll be happier in the long run if you keep working on the chinstrap. Smile

(08-10-2013, 09:43 PM)rml4210 Wrote: I have been using nasal pillows since starting cpap therapy, but am having problems with leaking due to my mouth opening. A chin strap didnt help, wouldnt stay in place.

Have a QuattroFX full face mask, but now have a problem with leaking around mask, air blowing in eyes, but main problem is snoring has come back with a vengeance, and dry mouth. I can only tolerate a few hours with this mask. I just would like to know why the snoring has come back, and what I can do to stop it.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 112 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.