Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pretty Dialled in but minor tweak help please
RE: Pretty Dialled in but minor tweak help please
"So because I'm at 4 on the low side and 7 on the high, and PS of 3, that's why i wouldn't be seeing any rise in pressure during a FL, correct?"

Yes, if you are in VAuto mode with these settings, your IPAP will always be 7 and your EPAP will always be 4.

I am going to guess you would be perfectly comfortable with an min of 5. Try that as a first step, leaving PS at 3 and raising your max to 8 to accommodate min + PS (5 + 3). (I can't remember and I'm away from home; it's possible the settings will do that automatically for you.)

After a few nights if that seems fine, then try leaving the min at 5 and raising the PS by maybe .4, to 3.4 (again raising max to accommodate). If that feels fine, and you're not getting centrals, then raise the PS by whatever you're comfortable with, always making sure to provide room by raising max. Try out every new setting for at least a few nights to see how it goes.

At a certain point -- different for you than for me, no doubt -- you will start seeing the FLs drop. Observe very carefully how you are feeling during the day. There is no point in chasing FL numbers if you're not feeling at least a little bit better. But if you are, then carry on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2020, 05:42 PM)Dormeo Wrote: "So because I'm at 4 on the low side and 7 on the high, and PS of 3, that's why i wouldn't be seeing any rise in pressure during a FL, correct?"

Yes, if you are in VAuto mode with these settings, your IPAP will always be 7 and your EPAP will always be 4.  

I am going to guess you would be perfectly comfortable with an min of 5.  Try that as a first step, leaving PS at 3 and raising your max to 8 to accommodate min + PS (5 + 3).  (I can't remember and I'm away from home; it's possible the settings will do that automatically for you.)  

After a few nights if that seems fine, then try leaving the min at 5 and raising the PS by maybe .4, to 3.4 (again raising max to accommodate).  If that feels fine, and you're not getting centrals, then raise the PS by whatever you're comfortable with, always making sure to provide room by raising max.  Try out every new setting for at least a few nights to see how it goes.

At a certain point -- different for you than for me, no doubt -- you will start seeing the FLs drop.  Observe very carefully how you are feeling during the day.  There is no point in chasing FL numbers if you're not feeling at least a little bit better.  But if you are, then carry on.
 this is fantastic - thank you kindly. I'll try as you suggest.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your VAuto is in Auto mode, your EPAP min is 4, that's OK, Your PS= 3 that is OK as well, your IPAP will be EPAP + PS = 4 + 3 = 7 = IPAP Max which prevents any auto changes. Pressure cannot go past the Max IPAP.  

Max IPAP can be set as high as 25 but don't

How is your breathing with the VAuto?  difficult or easy?  I'm looking for what to do with the 

Your comfort with your numbers is VERY important.

for now
Set Max IPAP = 8
set PS = 4

Do note how you feel, always note if the previous setting or the current settings feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2020, 07:30 PM)bonjour Wrote: How is your breathing with the VAuto?  difficult or easy?  I'm looking for what to do with the 

Your comfort with your numbers is VERY important.

Thanks BOnjour - you are always extremely helpful as well.

My breathing right now fees great. I had some issues for a while with the nasal pillows feeling like they blocked my nostrils slightly if not in the right position, but when I seat them properly and my nose isn't plugged in any way, my inhales feels relaxing, and the air is actually calming. 

I'll try as you suggest - one disadvantage of raising pressures is the chipmunk cheek thingm which isn't happening right now (I tape my mouth closed). perhaps I've gotten used to it, and now raising pressures icm would be fine. 

I'll try as you suggest - thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
On the chipmunk cheek thing,  Allow it to happen when you are awake, so you can learn to control and stop it.  I guarantee it will not happen overnight. 

Tongue Trick. Place the tongue on the roof of the mouth, Practice during the daytime. The idea is to train the tongue that this is a good place to be, does not happen overnight, but it works for some. The tongue trick is where you want to be but it takes a lot of time and some people just cannot get it. 

1. Place the tongue on the roof of your mouth and breathe with your mouth shut. Breathing thru your nose, right? Now leaving the tongue where it is open your mouth, you should still be breathing thru your nose. 
  2. Now that you have that down move your tongue, breathing thru your mouth right? 
  3. Now reverse it and breath through your nose.
  4. OK, put your mask on, under pressure, and repeat the above. Expect to need to turn your machine off when you start to repeat. 
  5. Add talking while under pressure, It takes a while to get any of this down. It took me months. You can also drink through a straw.
  6. The exercises above are to help you understand the positions that cause the issue and how to correct it. For all this to become automatic will take a while.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Apparent worsening of symptoms during minor illness TryingToGetItRight 0 255 09-18-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  AirSense 11 settings to tweak to reduce central apneas? jsam 30 3,694 02-16-2023, 11:21 AM
Last Post: jsam
Question Newbie seeking CPAP tweak suggestions crazednut 2 536 01-20-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Could you please help analyze my sleep study results? Pretty sure I need an ASV samisnow1 4 1,613 12-28-2021, 12:21 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  Feel like my numbers look pretty good, but I'm not sleeping any differently? bigsnarfy 2 694 08-14-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: bigsnarfy
  Feeling pretty good after 3-ish months but need reassurance and/or advice plakky 6 844 04-21-2021, 11:32 PM
Last Post: plakky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.