Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Technology Refresh
Question 
Technology Refresh
My CPAP is over 5 years old and my DME said I am due a technology refresh but ONLY if my machine breaks. I have a Resmed S9 Escape and I have Mdeicare and Tricare insurance, any advise is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Technology Refresh
Hi candaon1,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

You are currently using a S9 Escape, what we call a “brick”, as it cannot give you any useful data.

Your DME is correct that you need to upgrade.  Don’t know what ”but only if machine breaks” is about.  

I would call your insurance directly and question this.  Medicare will normally pay for a replacement after 5 years.  Talk to your doctor and see if you can get an updated prescription. Don’t let a DME decide what you should have...do your research. A ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet would be a good upgrade for you. Keep your S9 as a backup.

Just to help you out a bit, read this:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

Whatever you decide, go for a fully data capable Auto Cpap as described in link above.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! I think I just heard your machine break! Lucky you.  Bigwink
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME should know better - it's up to the insurance to decide if and when they'll pay for your new equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dang, had a bad storm and now the machine won't come on. It fell off the nightstand. My only suit was at the cleaners.....

I'm in the process of getting a new machine after 6 years and will be doing another sleep study to do it. I am also shifting over the Medicare as my primary. Luckily, my DME, who I have been extremely happy with, is also under Medicare.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her would be my first choice. Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset would be my second. Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto 3rd.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2018, 09:28 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Wow! I think I just heard your machine break! Lucky you.  Bigwink

LOL!!  Seriously, though, if one hadn't considered it previously, this would be the correct time to relegate the old machine to 'stand-by' status as a back-up, and to simply purchase another machine and submit the receipts.  The insurer, if that meets with its published policies, should duly reimburse.  In my own case, it's every five years, with up to #300 per year for replacement parts and disposables.  I can't believe an insurer would demand the old machine for their inspection, or that a DME certify that the old one had finally given up the fan.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told the same thing by my DME. Medicare/Medicaid doesn't want to auto-replace (replacing it just because of age).

I told them it was making a lot of noise during the night. Apparently, noise is the magic thing. Noise means motor and motor means expensive.

I am not advocating you lie. But list every single thing it does that creates a noise or has changed over the years.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2018, 06:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I am not advocating you lie. But list every single thing it does that creates a noise or has changed over the years.

does this include the wife's snoring? Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, your machine is considered worn out at 15,000 hours. There is no reason for you to have to wait until the thing actually breaks. However, use the noise thing if over 15,000 hours. I think Medicare is responding to the many machines that are being replaced that are nowhere near 15,000 hours and working just fine.

The Airsense is not significantly advanced over the S9. It was primarily an architecture change, not a change in algorithm. I know, I used both machines. The difference between the S8 and the S9 was pretty dramatic.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OSCAR Technology - Install & Data Aquisition Details EasySleep 3 115 03-18-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Forma and HC432: Which is newer technology? SleepyChief 2 1,063 01-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Adapting to ASV technology jerrydaw 5 1,720 08-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Arrow [News] New mask technology on horizon - being tested by forum members SuperSleeper 24 8,182 11-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Last Post: PollCat
  ResMed S9 Adapt SV Technology ??? Labrat0116 1 2,388 03-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Labrat0116
  New A-flex technology from Respironics - Anyone used it yet? SuperSleeper 5 5,205 05-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Last Post: A C Hunter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.