Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] The first week from hell
The first week from hell
I have OSP. 22 disruptions an hour from testing. nose pillows. I get to sleep and then wake up between 2 to 4 hours and take the mask off. Then I go back to sleep, but I am dreaming like crazy and wake up with headaches and totally unrested. I get my daughter off to school and go back to sleep for 1-3 hrs. Even then i am cranky and feel like I have had hardly any sleep. Anyone else start like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The first week from hell
The only way anyone could help is to see data from your machine. Your post shows you have a Resmed but not which one. Most give data but some do not. We will guess yours does. So the first is to see if your machine has a data card. If not you need to get one and put it in for data for tonight ( your supplier should give you one IF there is not one in it.

Next you need to download OSCAR. it is FREE to download on this site, from the top of the site. Put in your data card, download your data from a nights sleep. You will get some gurus that will be more than happy to help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2020, 02:25 PM)moe from Canada Wrote: I have OSP. 22 disruptions an hour from testing. nose pillows. I get to sleep and then wake up between 2 to 4 hours and take the mask off. Then I go back to sleep, but I am dreaming like crazy and wake up with headaches and totally unrested. I get my daughter off to school and go back to sleep for 1-3 hrs. Even then i am cranky and feel like I have had hardly any sleep. Anyone else start like this?

I can't be sure, but my guess would be that approximately half of us have a truly terrifying foray into our PAP treatment, whatever it is.  If the experience itself isn't off-putting, we find that it doesn't seem to be making any difference after a week or six.  However, a glance through the archives here will show that a great many report that they awaken at some point, perhaps after a full night and ready to rise, only to find that they have somehow removed their mask.  Some report that they still have 'brain fog', or that they still fall asleep at the drop of a hat.  So, you are in great company, and your experience is not unique to you.  That, too, won't help much....but at least you know you can share your misery with others.

Still, you should understand that where there is a will, there's a way.  If you desire to alter your 'removal' during the night, there are ways that others have trained themselves to refrain.  There are work-arounds to the frequently complained of problem with mouth breathing, and with apparent clusters of events showing in their OSCAR reports, despite the machine apparently doing what it is meant to do.

Are you wearing your device whenever you go down for a nap?   If you are napping on a couch, and don't bother to don your headgear and start your machine, you will probably continue to suffer the debilitations of sleep apnea.  If you remove your mask during the night, and fail to don it anew, ditto.

I can understand that you are cranky.  You would like, and really need, to have more confidence in your diagnosis and in any remedies proposed and prescribed.  I get that.  The way to that eventuality is to:

a.  persevere;

b.  continue to educate yourself about all things PAP;

c.  learn how to manage your own treatment regimen;

d.  not fear delving into your settings, a manual (downloadable here) to instruct that procedure, and second-guessing the very prescription that has you here; and

e.  accepting that, perhaps, about all you will get in the way of positive feedback is an OSCAR report that says your machine is doing a good job.

The fact is that few of us report miraculous results, and a complete one-eighty, the very first night.  My own first night was a nightmare of frequent awakenings because of air blasting out of my slack jaw.  I didn't need to relearn what would happen the second night; I have taped my lips closed starting from Night The Second.

You are not alone.  Eventually, you will begin to respond if your machine is the correct one for you and delivering what you need.  We'll know how to help you when we get two or three different nights' worth of reports.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Thanks Thanks that makes me feel better, that it isn't just me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely not uncommon it’s not just you we are all here for one reason or another I came here lo find information when I was issued with a machine that just gave me details on hours of use no therapy information at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Moe!
It's good to see you here.
I'm from Toronto.

The people here are incredible! I've been doing this a long time. I think our medical system in Ontario is broken.  Coming here has helped me so much! I finally feel that I'm my own advocate. I finally feel that treatment is working. And I'm grateful.

It's not about  me and my story.  Just know that you've come to a good place.  Listening to people here has helped me make good choices with my care.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same experience for a year or so. Finally, I realized that, no matter how much more comfortable it was to sleep without a CPAP mask on, I was damaging myself, my lifestyle, and my longevity. With that in mind, I had to scream at myself in the middle of the night to get that mask back on. An oxygen-deprived night is far worse than a bumpy CPAP-assisted night (in my opinion).

For myself, and I want to be very careful about advising others of this, I went lower on the pressure and comfort on the mask selection. I was told I needed 14 and a full-face but finally settled on a max of 10 and a pillows mask. Personally, I feel that the introduction of CPAP is too focused on achieving perfection immediately with a perfect mask and the perfect pressure. Each person is different though, for their level of tolerance, body style, sleeping pattern, etc. For others with other health conditions, adopting my strategy could but them in a dangerous situation.

With sleep apnea, there's no better place to be than ApneaBoard. It's a life extension.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which mask are you using? Can you tell us the name of it, or show us a picture of it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2020, 08:19 PM)moe from Canada Wrote: Thanks Thanks Thanks that makes me feel better, that it isn't just me.

It's worth it! Keep going!

OSA treatment in Canada varies depending on where you live. My equpment supplier told me that if I lived in British Columbia I would have an instant prescription for an autopap. 
However, I live in Ontario.  I wanted an apap for a long long time, and finally got one following suggestions here.

Where do you live in Canada?

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I am from Powell River bc. Thanks you guys for your comments and suggestions, I have not given up, and the last 2 nights i've made it to over six hours of wear time! I go back to Mainland sleep on October 23rd so I will get more answers then.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 487 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 203 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 564 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.