Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] The honeymoon is over
Gross 
The honeymoon is over
[/size]

I am new to this site and have been using my CPAP machine for a little over 3 months I was doing so well up till now. Now I am having issues with constant waking up and it has left me exhausted. My doctor told me that with the CPAP the first few months is the honeymoon period and then you do not feel as good using the machine. In addition to sleep apnea I have fragmented sleep disorder in which I wake up every few hours. Now I am told to take Xanax each night before bed.

I thought I was cured with the sleep apnea machine only to find out I am not.

Has anyone else gone through this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The honeymoon is over
Well I struggle with staying asleep, mostly because I get the "urge to go" and that wakes me up. My AHI is nice and low so I take two Xanax about a half hour before going to bed. Recently I've been able to keep it down to one or two wake ups per night. I find that if I can get in four hours or more before the first awakening I feel a bit better the next day. I usually get around seven hours sleep over an eight hour period.

I've tried various medications (other than the Xanax) and so far they haven't helped much.

I'd have a talk with my doctor and see if he (or she) has any ideas that might help.
There are things you can do in the evening that help you sleep better, like staying away from any computer or television screens, and keeping the lights as low as you can stand.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2015, 07:47 PM)LindafromNJ Wrote: My doctor told me that with the CPAP the first few months is the honeymoon period and then you do not feel as good using the machine.
Hi LindafromNJ and welcome to the forum

Probably, there is honeymoon period but that does not mean you have suffer after the period end, things should improve and get better

You'll need to look at the SD card data and see what is really going on
You didn't say what is AHI, AI, Central AI, and leak numbers (you can get these numbers from the machine sleep report)

As for cure, the machine in not a cure, only helps if you're using it, also that need constant monitoring and adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum LindafromNJ,
I hope you are not totally depending on your doctor, because the first 3 months is not a honeymoon for a lot of folk.

First, a little more information is needed. What has your AHI been for the last three months? Could you give us an average breakdown of your AHI: Obstructives, hypopneas, clear airway, etc.
What about your leak rate?

Your pressure setting of 6 is probably too low for you, but there is no way of knowing without a little more information.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2015, 08:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Your pressure setting of 6 is probably too low for you, but there is no way of knowing without a little more information.

@ LindafromNJ, check that pressure. Sounds so low as I suspect it is not correct.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LindafromNJ,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for mor suggestions and don't give up on your CPAP therapy.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
6 is likely to low. Heck i cant breath on 6 sitting up and awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is fairly common for folks to need the CPAP pressure to be increased after several months of use. Sometimes even again later.

If your sleep doc has not suggested increasing the pressure but has instead prescribed you a sleep aid (which could perhaps make the OSA worse), then you need another sleep doc. Or you need to access the data of the machine and figure out how to set the optimum pressure yourself. We can help you do that.

And folks, 6 is HER pressure, not ours. If that is what it took to keep her airway open 3 months ago, so be it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

nothing else to add, yet.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your responses. In addition to having sleep Apnea I have also been diagnosed with Fragmented sleep disorder. I wake up every hour to 2 hours all night, but do go back to sleep. The prescription is for that. My stats for the CPAP are the following:

Apnea Index 2.1 hypopnea index 0.7, AHI 2.8.
Obstructive 1.8, Central 0.2.
95th percentile 9.6 - not sure what that means.
Average hours used 7.01 - in the morning I sometimes sleep an hour with it off.

Pressure is at 6 and based on score did not want to change it. Do u guys agree based on the score.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.