CPAP Therapy; What improvement want to see?
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

CPAP Therapy; What improvement want to see?
[parts of this thread copied from old forum]
................................................................................​............
what problems if any with your therapy you like to see improvement
and may be you could tells us if you wake up feeling refreshed in the morning .
................................................................................​...................
Ltmedic66 wrote:
zonk, here's what I would like to see:

I want a quieter mask. Although the sounds from the vent port are not that loud and my wife doesn't even hear it, it does bother me sometimes when trying to fall asleep.

I want a mask that is comfortable in any sleeping postion, and that does not require adjustment when changing positions (I like to roll around during the night).

I would like to find a good solution to mouth leak (I don't consider chin straps or taping to be good solutions...).

I do not want face marks, ever.

I am not sure I would say I wake up refreshed all the time, though I have a pretty strange work schedule that results in frequent sleep interruptions, so even "normal" people in my field don't feel rested. However, I can say that I no longer am dragging with fatigue all the time. I have greatly reduced migraine headaches on CPAP, and I can read or work on the computer for long periods of time without nodding off.

So, on the whole, CPAP has been a big postive, but there are a few things I wish I could tweak.
................................................................................​............
zimlich wrote:
I would like to have a better AHI and AI and for that I need to wean off or cut down on some prescription meds I take. I have cut my vicodin use dramatically and cut my klonopin by 1/3 and my numbers are already better. I have a great mask- the Respironics FitLife Total Face Mask and like my machine. I may titrate up one cm to see if I have any more improvement in my numbers.
................................................................................​.............
JudgeMental wrote:
The CPAP (therapy & equipment) is a small inconvenience in my opinion, aimed towards improving my overall health, wellbeing and longevity. I'm thankful that I have been timely diagnosed and have the availability both financially and professionally to have the equipment to combat OSA. Although my AHI numbers are not perfect (7 day = 7.5), I no longer jump up in the middle of the night gasping, snoring or snorting as was the case pre_CPAP 6 yrs ago. That couldn;t (it isn;t) good for your health.

Thankfully,.. software, machine capability and a great forum with well intention posters, such as this, is avbl to chase the numbers in order to lower my AHI, but I have not instigated the enthusiasm to do so. Don;t ask why, 'cause I don't know why.
If I had as much enthusiasm at lowering my AHI as I do my golf handicap,,,the AHI would be at 0..

Zonk...to answer the question....
1. I like to have a lower AHI

2. Make a hose that was softer and more flexible (I know, its just a small thing)
MyronW wrote:
I've been using CPAP for ten years now, waiting for the miracle. Fighting with rainout, mouth venting, afternoon sleepiness, weight gain, all the problems I had before I went on CPAP. I have the hose sleeve, the hose hanger, even a reptile warmer inside the sleeve (which works awesome to stop rainout), but the miracle never happened for me as far as all the extra energy I was supposed to get. I tinkered with the settings for years. Up a little, down a little, up, up...
Until a month ago! That's when I plunked down the money out of my pocket and replaced my Breeze nasal pillow headgear with a Quattro FX full face mask. Now that I can't mouth vent, the splint is finally working, and I feel amazing! I was taping my mouth shut tight every night, and I was sure that I had fixed the problem, but no way.
The new mask is not without issues. I'm still learning how to fix eye leaks and get it just right every night, but I could kick myself for not addressing this ten years ago. What a waste of time! I'll be getting a new machine next week- I requested a ResMed S9 Elite and hopefully they came through for me- and I can't wait.

Myron
Ltmedic66 wrote:
MyronW,

I you are having rainout issues, I would strongly suggest that you get the Climateline with your S9. I use a Fisher & Paykel Sleepstyle 604 that has a heated hose, and I have never had an issue with rainout. I don't even get moisture droplets on the hose. I think a heated hose is the ONLY way to go if you are using humidification.
................................................................................​...........
MyronW wrote:
The first Quattro mask I bought was a medium, based on printing out the paper sizing guide. When the mask came, it included the real sizing tool, which indicated I should have bought a small. Too late, because of the no-return policy on masks. I got it to work pretty well, but I had to pull it a lot tighter than I thought it should be, so as soon as my insurance company would buy me another one I bought a small. It works much, much better.

I just got a call from my DME and confirmed that I am getting the S9 Elite with the climateline hose. I pick it on Monday.

Oh, dagnabbit. I just realized I was so adamant about getting an APAP that I told them to get me the CPAP model . Great. I just screwed myself. Now I am bummed. At least I'll have a much better set of tools to titrate with.
................................................................................​.........
HeadGear wrote:
I would like the perfect solution to CPAP therapy when all stuffed up with a cold or flu! I don't have the secret, but have relied, successfully, on using Otrivin for 3-4 days, when necessary in the past 8 years. Last time, it backfired, taking weeks to get back to normal! I do use Neil Med's NasoGel for occasional dry congestion, but that won't work on a cold!
................................................................................​.................
moeschmoe wrote:
couple comments here...I started CPAP therapy this past August--almost a year ago. Long story short, I recently made a discovery that helped me. I currently have an auto CPAP and it's in the 8-15 cm range. I felt pretty good about it, and I was having an AHI of 2.5, give or take a couple tenths of a point. One would think that an AHI of 2.5 (which is considered no apnea) would make you feel on top of the world...but it didn't (as strange as it seems). Now don't get me wrong, an AHI of 2.5 isn't that bad.

So I noticed that my 90% pressure was reading at 12.3. This means that from 8 cm, I have to have some apnea events before it reaches 12.3, so I decided to switch my mode over to regular CPAP at 12.5 cm. The results are stunning--I'm getting an average AHI of less than 1 the past three days. The first day it was 1.5, the second day it was 1.1 and I found it today to be at 1. And yes, I feel on top of the world with so much more energy than I had when my AHI was at 2.5.

Does anybody else feel that much of a difference when the AHI changes by slight amounts?
HeadGear wrote:
es, I can tell usually (not always) the difference between an e.g., AHI 1.8 night and a 0.4 night. That's, maybe, the difference between 18 and 4 apneas for the night. It is not always a clear indication for feeling better, because, I believe, the effects of several nights can be cumulative. There are also other factors which effect sleep quality and are not reflected in the AHI.

It is fortunate that you were able to determine that CPAP was better for you! (Isn't it great to have a data capable machine!) The advantages of APAP over CPAP is best realized if one is inclined to suffer variability in pressure needs from night to night. (I know that this is a problem which I have, and is likely due to other aggravating conditions.) If you are regular as clockwork, then it makes more sense to stick to CPAP!

When it comes to "feeling better" I am not at all convinced that AHI < 5.0 is a magic threshold.
................................................................................​..................
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 08:44 PM by zonk.)
03-30-2012 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zimlich Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed gel Nasal Mask
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: 8-20 ASV, 8 EPAP,PS 12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I use the Quattro FFM when necessary

Sex: Female

RE: CPAP Therapy; What improvement want to see?
My latest improvement is trying an ASV machine because my six month average AHI was 28 in spite of every effort to bring it down. With the ASV after one month the average is 11.1. I have nights where it is under five. I have the software, but haven't studied the data yet. Though I pretty much felt ok with the high ahi, with the asv after one month I am starting to sleep less at night (used to be 10-12 hours) and I don't get sleepy as early in the evening. I also am feeling a slow improvement in drug resistant depression. I think it will take about six months before I achieve the full benefit of the ASV.
04-13-2012 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is there an end to CPAP therapy? SamStamport 10 518 10-29-2016 08:46 AM
Last Post: robysue
  Insomnia getting worse 3 months into therapy baconjurer 3 504 10-05-2016 11:50 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Full Mask improvement (progress) jxyzobrien 3 267 09-29-2016 01:18 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Auto-Trial –delivers CPAP therapy adjusting pressure 30days ICEMAN 8 1,217 09-24-2016 12:34 PM
Last Post: green wings
  cpap therapy still tired wyu177 12 830 09-21-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: wyu177
  Stop Therapy Question macheta 17 706 09-15-2016 10:32 PM
Last Post: Jim Bronson
  How long to show improvement amykathleen2005 6 401 09-04-2016 08:08 AM
Last Post: pupcamper