Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble with getting my machine through airport screening
RE: Trouble with getting my machine through airport screening
(07-27-2018, 04:42 PM)theMezz Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 06:17 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Never had any trouble, but sometimes someone new will take the machine out and look at it.
First time anyone saw a CPAP I had to take it out and they read the letter I had, then went away to make a phone call, they placed a sniffer inside the bag before asking me to unpack it ( all a bit frustrating in front of everyone), then they wiped it and went away to do a drugs test.  They then put it through the x-ray machine, which I was not sure about the first time, but it worked fine afterwards, so it survived, phew!  However, after a phone call and negative test for drugs they read the letter again and asked how I used it, satisfied they let me go through.  The airline never bat an eyelid, and when I was struggling to get it into the overhead rack one of the staff took it into the back with them, returning it when the aircraft landed.  Can't say I have had any real problems, security are just doing their job and as long as you are patient with them, it smooths the way a lot.

What letter ?

Usually a letter from your DME or a copy of Rx, offering proof that you need the device for medical reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can eliminate most issues by registering with TSA Precheck.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only issues I've had with my machine is that I bring a couple of medicine bottles of distilled water with me (depending on the flight time, it can be hard to get some when you first get to your destination and I prefer distilled). They usually swab the bottles, but not usually a concern.

I'll agree with others here....give your machine and case a good wipe down with cleaning wipes...if you are going to do the mask too, then I would recommend the benzalkonium ones as they don't degrade silicone like alcohol ones can.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2018, 04:20 PM)JimmyMc Wrote: You can eliminate most issues by registering with TSA Precheck.

Doesn't always work - know several folks on pre-check who were pulled aside for more advanced screening.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,243 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,133 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 275 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 252 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 501 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 721 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 937 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.