Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP - Tired is that normal ?
CPAP - Tired is that normal ?
Hi,
I am wondering is it normal to feel tired after using CPAP, been trialing for nearly 8 weeks now. Last night my AHI was down to about 2.6 and I felt so tired this afternoon, is that normal to feel so tired or is that just part of getting use to CPAP. I have been having a drink before bed so I don't dry out. I do feel a bit more alert in the mornings though.
Also I do get asthma and use a puffer before bed too before I start CPAP. I did wake up about 4.30 with slight asthma can CPAP bring it on.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP - Tired is that normal ?
As far as being tired, don't forget you haven't been on therapy that long and for some it just takes longer to adapt. Not to mention that you have been going back and forth between a ResMed machine and the DreamStation, which may give you different results.

Make sure your humidity isn't too high, which can aggravate asthma, and too little humidity will cause you to feel dry.

How are you sleeping? Is your sleep fragmented? You can have too little sleep and still have a low AHI. If I have a bad night where I am tossing and turning due to pain or something else, my AHI is usually low......simply because I'm not sleeping much.

Are you using sleepyhead software? It may be time to upload a screenshot of the daily page.
I'm pretty sure I sent you links on how to organize your graphs and use imgur in another thread.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Steve,

there are numerous reasons you might feel tired at various points in time after ?PAP therapy.

For me, it works out that it's fragmented sleep see below:

[Image: byePr56.jpg]

Of course, there seems to be, from time to time, a significant leak rate and when I do sleep, my O2 seems to fall into the upper 60% to low 70%

But it doesn't help my phones go off all hours of the day and night where I get calls from all around the world... in the "always on, always working, always available" world we live in it seemingly takes forever for everyone to find out your no longer available for consultation! [Image: trRuEgP.gif]

I can tell you 9 months ago, I was simply miserable, falling asleep at work in meetings... and for me, someone that has always been able to attend highly technical meetings without needing to take notes either on paper or computer could hardly remember anything from the short trip from the meeting room to my office (maybe 1400 feet)....

but like I said, there are lots of things that can cause you to feel like crud while on ?PAP therapy...

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
There is such a thing as sleep debt. Those of us who are retired etc can sleep in,,nap and usually catch up quicker.
Working it can take longer.

That said, and there are those who will likely disagree, an AHI of 2 and up isnt that great as far as feeling rested.
Its treated technically . But going on 2 yrs now if I or the wife get above 1.5 we are gonna feel it.
2 im yawning all day and tired. Not a zombie but just sort of bleh.
3 im toast.

Or you can be running 1 but still be flow restricted with no events showing if your min pressure is a touch to low.

Thats a long winded way of saying a low AHI, 2 2.5 aint the whole show
Post Reply Post Reply
About 6 months ago, I woke up feeling like a truck hit me. I only remembered waking up once and didn't get out of bed, but went back to sleep. SleepyHead confirmed this.
Then when I look at the display on my machine, it said 0.0 AHI and 7 hours sleep. Wow, but I felt like crap.

Later, when I downloaded my stats into SH, it confirmed the 0.0 AHI, but I had many RERA's, Flow Limitations, and Periodic Breathing which none count toward the AHI.

So, I don't get too excited over low AHI's, especially 0.0, but I can relate to what Ghost says....I'm ok if I stay 1.5 or under. If it gets to 2.0, I'm not feeling that great.

Just give it time, and try to get to bed about the same time every night. A consistent routine helps.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2016, 08:30 AM)icyura10 Wrote: For me, it works out that it's fragmented sleep see below:

I hope that all the phone calls caused that chart !
If it were my phone it would be swimming with the fishes.
I wish you well and now fell mush better about my chartsThanks

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Many folks fine they feel worse when they first start therapy. Some find they feel better on the first night.

It took me 60 days to start feeling as good as I did B4 therapy.

It was another month before I stated noticing benefits to therapy.
On day 118 I actual slept 7 hours for the first time in many many years. Which has become routine now.

(08-20-2016, 07:58 AM)stephennic Wrote: I am wondering is it normal to feel tired after using CPAP, been trialing for nearly 8 weeks now.

I see look like you already staring to see some benefits to therapy. I expect you will see more as you continue.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender. Your on a journey that takes some time for you body and mind to adjust, Nevertheless, it will help you live long an prosper.

(08-20-2016, 07:58 AM)stephennic Wrote: I do feel a bit more alert in the mornings though.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto about never giving up. This is my second round of cpap therapy. The first I was not compliant and couldn't consistently wear the mask at night. Now I am armed with knowledge from this board and have been compliant this second round for 9 weeks. I can tell a difference in how I feel during the day, but not as good as I had hoped. Not as much yawning, feeling like I would fall asleep driving, and more energy when I first get up in the morning. For months I would just have to stagger as I got up from sleeping and didn't realize what my normal was anymore. I still feel tired during the day, but much better. I am hopeful it will only get better with time.

WOW! had a .2 night last night and I felt like I got an E+ on my report card in school!!! I agree that you can feel much better if you keep your AHI low but make sure you are sleeping and it is not the results of laying there awake with the machine running. Sad
Good luck and hope you feel much better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometime I must remind myself what it was like in the past. I tend to forget and want more improvement faster. I guess that I am reaching the max level of body repair on this old tore up, put away wet and neglected thing.

But hey it is so much better than without CPAP. I can now walk all the way to the mail box to get the bills. They do not send the police to see if I am still breathing any more. Living on a dead end dirt road that the mailman will not drive down has its good points.
likeSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2016, 01:37 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: I can now walk all the way to the mail box to get the bills.

Wow!! I'm Envious!!! Coffee
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 11 19 minutes ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 176 9 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 165 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 206 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.