Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Transcend CPAP machine
Transcend CPAP machine

Haven't seen any recent posts on the Transcend.
Both my Sleep Doctor and a local supplier have said these machines are OK for travel but not for permanent home use, and that I should only have one as a second machine. However that is a lot of extra money to outlay. Also they don't give me any reasons for their statement.
Has anyone used a Transcend as their main home machine?
Any reason why it couldn't be used as such?
I know some say they are noisier than a Resmed, but I can sleep through a thunderstorm, so that would not be an issue for me.
(I know my profile says I am using a Resmed, but that is a loan machine for a couple of weeks)
Would appreciate any comment from Transcend users as whatever machine I get I will need to use in a Caravan offroad (ie no mains supply power).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Transcend CPAP machine
I have a Transcend EZEX cpap and use mine as a travel machine. The blower assembly in the Transcend is a lot smaller than a full size machine and has to spin faster to reach a specific pressure. Some people would think that it has a shorter life span due to this reason and I think this is where your Dr and DME are coming from. I think it can be used as a home machine, the Transcend's blower is not going at full speed most of the time when in use and is depended on your prescribed pressure. But I think someone who uses it full time will answer soon enough the question on the long term reliability compared to a full size machine.
I think the machine is great for camping, travel due to the it's size and battery size. The noise you can reduce using a inline viral filter and if you have a standalone humidifier that works great. I use a little muffler that I made. HDM who makes the Z1 is suppose to be coming out soon with a muffler and I am guessing it will work for the Transcend.
Good luck on your choice of machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
been using one during the week when i travel for a year or so now. (4 nights/week) and see no reason at all why you couldnt use it full time.
Post Reply Post Reply
My primary concern? It is a machine designed primarily for traveling and may not do well if used every night over and over. It might, but how long would it last if used this way? Then, is it data capable? Does it show any data at all? Without data, you have no idea if your treatment is working other than going by symptoms. Data would tell you a problem is happening as it happens. A symptom tells you a problem has happened long enough for the symptom to manifest.

If money is the reason, go to Supplier #2 in the Supplier's List (link at top of every page). You can get a much better machine for probably less.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2015, 08:05 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: My primary concern? It is a machine designed primarily for traveling and may not do well if used every night over and over. It might, but how long would it last if used this way? Then, is it data capable? Does it show any data at all? Without data, you have no idea if your treatment is working other than going by symptoms. Data would tell you a problem is happening as it happens. A symptom tells you a problem has happened long enough for the symptom to manifest.

If money is the reason, go to Supplier #2 in the Supplier's List (link at top of every page). You can get a much better machine for probably less.

The original idea for this machine was to be small and light so that it could be worn on top of your head as a primary. So you can assume the manufacturer intended it for nightly use. But due to the size it makes for a great travel machine. There should be some long term users of the Transcend, it would be great if they could respond to this question. It is data capable, but the down side, you need a computer and their software to read the data. If you like to read your data directly off the machine, this machine is not for you, there is no display. Since I use this as a travel machine (work) I usually have a computer on and can check my data readily. The face of the Transcend has two lights, a ramp button and the start button. I have a System One that I use at home that I use to bring with me. The Transcend is half the carry on size so I don't mind the lack of data display function. And as PaulaO2 mentioned about cost, your paying more for a smaller size with less user interface.
Post Reply Post Reply
Worn on top the head? (I just gigglesnorted) With the noise it makes?

I've considered getting one as a backup and for when I travel but the cost just isn't worth it for me.

So there's the things to consider. It is data capable but no screen. It is small but at the cost of the screen and the noise. You'd need to modify it with a homebrewed muffler. You said you can sleep through a thunderstorm but sleeping through one is different that falling asleep with this sound next to your head (or on top of it, still giggling). But if small size is your primary need, the Transcend is by far the best one out there. They have much better customer service.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
What is the priority for your travel CPAP? Size and weight? DC voltage compatibility. A Respironics DS560 auto without the humidifier only weights 2.27 lbs and is 4" thick, 5.5" wide and 7 inches long. It easily detaches from the separate humidifier and can meet all needs. How much smaller do you need?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 12:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What is the priority for your travel CPAP? Size and weight? DC voltage compatibility. A Respironics DS560 auto without the humidifier only weights 2.27 lbs and is 4" thick, 5.5" wide and 7 inches long. It easily detaches from the separate humidifier and can meet all needs. How much smaller do you need?

Thanks folks for the replies so far. Still would like to hear from someone who has used one for a couple of years straight.
I think I read that Transcend have a 3 year warranty as opposed to 2 years from other manufacturers.

Size and weight isn't the problem, the issue is power. I am a caravanner and often camp off road - have spent up to 3 weeks without 240 volt power apart from the generator.

Was looking for something that would run on a battery, with a battery that could be recharged easily from the car cigarette lighter socket or a 12v socket in the van when on solar.

Trouble with the Transcend battery is that it takes 12 hours to recharge - and there is rarely 12 hours of sun a day. Don't want to rely of the van battery as it has other things to run.

Noticed Resmed battery recharges in only 4 hours so that may be a better option. I want to avoid having to buy 2 CPAP machines as that is a big outlay - better 1 good machine that does both jobs.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Respironics machine runs on straight 12 volt power and is very efficient with startup power at about 2.5 amps and operating power less than 0.8 amps. It will use any 12 volt source, including deep cycle lead-acid, and very compact Li-ion batteries that can be recharged from solar or automotive alternators. There are a number of threads from people that use PRS1 machines on sail boats circumnavigating the globe, campers and RV users. For a permanent machine that can be taken off the grid, it's hard to beat.

I'd suggest narrowing your search, eliminating Resmed which operates on 24 volt power and has an integrated humidifier and wireless modem, and focusing on the PRS1 and Transcend units, and seeing what can be worked out. I can point you to some threads that discuss battery use of the PRS1 units, including the use of the Poweradd Pilot Pro 32000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 9V 12V 16V 19V 20V) Li-Ion Backup Power Bank to run units up to 3-days without recharging and without any converter or adapter other than what is included (See Amazon). These batteries are not without some issues, but they are an example of what can work remarkably well as an alternative to expensive batteries sold specifically for powering a CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2015, 08:06 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Respironics machine runs on straight 12 volt power and is very efficient with startup power at about 2.5 amps and operating power less than 0.8 amps. It will use any 12 volt source, including deep cycle lead-acid, and very compact Li-ion batteries that can be recharged from solar or automotive alternators. There are a number of threads from people that use PRS1 machines on sail boats circumnavigating the globe, campers and RV users. For a permanent machine that can be taken off the grid, it's hard to beat.

I'd suggest narrowing your search, eliminating Resmed which operates on 24 volt power and has an integrated humidifier and wireless modem, and focusing on the PRS1 and Transcend units, and seeing what can be worked out. I can point you to some threads that discuss battery use of the PRS1 units, including the use of the Poweradd Pilot Pro 32000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 9V 12V 16V 19V 20V) Li-Ion Backup Power Bank to run units up to 3-days without recharging and without any converter or adapter other than what is included (See Amazon). These batteries are not without some issues, but they are an example of what can work remarkably well as an alternative to expensive batteries sold specifically for powering a CPAP.

Since size is not the issue, I agree with Sleeprider that the PRS1 might be the right fit. I sometimes take my PRS1 camping and I can get 3 nights (humidifier off) with a 22 ah battery. Since it's native power is 12 Vdc, it gives you greater options when it comes to power. On the other hand the Transcend requires a 14.4 Vdc Li-ion battery pack.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 110 Today, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,791 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 630 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 200 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.