Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose is red
RE: Nose is red
(12-16-2014, 01:00 AM)Jim Bronson Wrote: And no, my real name isn't Rudolph. :grin:

Came for the Rudolph joke. Left satisfied. Grin

When I was using a nasal mask for the first 45 days of my CPAP therapy, I found I was needing to really tighten the straps if my face was at all oily to prevent air leaks. The irritation sounds like it's being caused by tight mask straps. Carefully washing my face and cleaning the mask every day to remove the oils helped for me. I've seen others suggesting some kind of pad but I never did that and have since moved over to nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose is red
(12-16-2014, 12:18 AM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I've been using my CPAP for about six weeks, and I think I've got the nasal mask adjusted at the Goldilocks position (not too tight, not too loose.) However, I notice that the front of my nose is red and a bit sore where the mask presses against it. The redness persists until late afternoon when it finally goes away. Is there anything I can use to prevent this? I don't want to loosen the mask, as it will surely leak.

Yes, Jim, you can prevent it. I had this problem (it was almost unbearable), but was able to solve it overnight after reading about a solution on a website.

Wash the mask cushion every morning in hot, mild soapy water in order to remove the facial oils (I leave it to soak for 20 minutes). Then soak the mask in hot water (for 20 minutes) to remove the soap residues from the mask.

I don't know whether soaking for as long as 20 mins is really necessary, but it works (as the website had suggested) so I stick with that.

As soon as I adopted this approach, the red soreness stopped occurring. That was a couple of years ago.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.