Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Two years with low AHI and still very tired
RE: Two years with low AHI and still very tired
(12-13-2017, 02:26 PM)Shin Ryoku Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 06:41 AM)orzabal Wrote: I have been using CPAP for over 2 years following a sleep study which provided an untreated AHI of 23. Despite full compliance with an average of 7 hours sleep per night I am completely exhausted every day....

My consultant is excellent and is thinking of now diagnosing idiopathic hypersomnia however the treatment would remain the same as I already take Modafanil.

... I continue to be tired, not only sleepy but this impacts on concentration levels etc.

Is the main issue sleepiness or fatigue?  Do you have an daily episodes of an irrepressible need to sleep?

I would say both. Although I do not spontaneously fall asleep, I have heavy eyelids and feel a strong need to sleep...and most often lay down for a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon. The fatigue manifests in my lack of energy or will to do anything. My day is essentially over by noon. I am in bed at night between 9 and 5. This has been going on for about one year now.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
Allessio77,
I believe the question was for Orzabal.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2017, 03:00 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Allessio77,
                I believe the question was for Orzabal.

Sorry. I must be very tired today!!
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi orzabal,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and hopefully, your doc will be able to help you figure out why you are so tired. Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I was in a similar situation. I solved it by going to a constant pressure.

According to a study, up to 18% of apnea patients don’t do well on changing pressure. I am one of them.

In your case, you may want to go to a constant pressure equal to your 95% pressure from your readings (or a lower pressure that you can tolerate), and evaluate how you feel after 10 days.

AHI is only one variable in a good sleep. The others (sleep architecture, deep sleep %age etc) can not be evaluated with a xpap machine. You can only go with ‘how do you feel during the day’ to assess that.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I also seem to do better with a constant pressure.  It is not universal, but I seem to tolerate the higher pressure better than the changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning, it's hard to tell the difference between fatigue and sleepiness, by way of example yesterday I felt fatigued all day and by late afternoon I was struggling to stay awake............ I took 400 mg of Modafanil and within 10 minutes was so tired that I had an hours sleep!!

I am tired again this morning but again a good AHI of 1.52 although my flow limitation number read 1.24, I do think that my issue may be related to the flow numbers which are consistently about this level.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully this screen shot may provide further information

[Image: l59aQPjl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2017, 09:05 PM)AshSF Wrote: I was in a similar situation. I solved it by going to a constant pressure.

According to a study, up to 18% of apnea patients don’t do well on changing pressure. I am one of them.

In your case, you may want to go to a constant pressure equal to your 95% pressure from your readings (or a lower pressure that you can tolerate), and evaluate how you feel after 10 days.

AHI is only one variable in a good sleep. The others (sleep architecture, deep sleep %age etc) can not be evaluated with a xpap machine. You can only go with ‘how do you feel during the day’ to assess that.

Actually you can. You said it yourself "sleep architecture, deep sleep %age". For that you need a EEG device. I can't comment if the 'consumer' ones are any good. 

I used Neurobit Optima 4. It cost me around the same as my Aircurve 10 VAuto. With all the hassle: cables, electrodes and gels. It took me a while to get a hang of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
crowtor,
Welcome to the Board and Thank you for the insight on getting a EEG. For most of us that's not an option. The cost plus not knowing how to use it rules out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 164 4 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 254 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.