Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP USE QUESTION
CPAP USE QUESTION
I was curious if anyone here has ever heard of CPAP use being beneficial for someone suffering through mesothelioma? I have a cousin diagnosed and told him I thought it may help with his breathing some... I've been told it does help some with COPD sufferers, and was hoping to find him some relief. Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP USE QUESTION
Best bet would be to have him contact his doctor with this question; though I suppose some initial research could be done using online sources such as webMD or even Google, etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shamus54,
I know nothing about cancers. But, can attest that CPAP w/oxygen supplementation is beneficial for my COPD. Hopefully someone that knows more about your specific question will provide you more information.
Regards,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
interesting. I would definitely talk to a doctor about it. CPAP does make inhaling easier and can help clear out CO2 from the lungs.
No idea if APAP, BiLevel or ASV would be better than the others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I first came across CPAP during a Pulmonary Rehab course for my COPD. They simply showed us the machines and named them (various machines for different uses - not just CPAP's). We were offered the chance to try them for a few seconds and, once the CPAP mask went on I just wanted to take the machine home!!
It felt like someone had taken the elephant off my chest and I could suddenly breath normally. That resulted in a (very poor) sleep study which they claimed showed I didn't have SA (they only used an Oximeter!) which was followed 3 years later with a proper study and a diagnosis last month!

So, does CPAP help COPD sufferers; in my case absolutely! Guess it will vary from person to person but it worked for me.

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I did a fairly good search on google before I asked my question here, but did not find any useful info out there. It just seems to me that logically the PAP could assist with breathing disorders besides apnea problems... Either way, I would not think it would do any harm?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 11:26 AM)Shamus54 Wrote: I did a fairly good search on google before I asked my question here, but did not find any useful info out there. It just seems to me that logically the PAP could assist with breathing disorders besides apnea problems... Either way, I would not think it would do any harm?

I think that would be best answered by a medical professional .

Good Luck ,Okay
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 290 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 659 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,184 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.