Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Uk NICE Guidlines re CPAP
Uk NICE Guidlines re CPAP
Hi there. Ihave been using a CPAP for over two years in France under their Sleep Hospital. I am now coming to grips with the UK and especially "NICE" who funds all NHS treatments. I have slight Obstructive Apneas but the French Sleep study showed 27/h and the Resmed S9 Autoset shows mainly central Apneas. I am being treated by the "Obese" Obstructive Apnea department, I am their only ever male with under 17" neck and not obese! I hope in future to transfer to an other hospital that deals with central Apneas.
Yesterday they loaned me a fixed pressure CPAP RemStar Plus set at 10. My average pressure on the S9 is 6-7 so maybe this is too high? Will try using it after a two day oxymeter test. They then offered me a choice of all their masks. But none were suitable. I use the Resmed Mirage micro(12) with and X large cushion (or else it pivots on the bridge of by broken nose). They had never stocked this size cushion! Forcing patients to either over tighten the large size or use a long static mask, which although comfortable would be a night mare to adjust the straps every time it was removed. They then only had the ancient heavy tubing, They gave me a free sample light weight one with hard ends that they had but this too was totally useless on the lightly fitted cushion mask, The slim line tube I have already is light years ahead of the thick, stiff heavy tubes. Yet here in the UK unless you buy your self you won't get it.
I read with some confusion the lack of information about the type of tubing users are using in their details. The S9 takes into account tube diameter and length in its set up.
It is my belief that for a conscious, un-sedated , user with relatively low pressure it is nearly impossible to achieve 100% usage with out constant leaks or skin sores without the correctly fitted mirage micro or even the ultra nasal mask and a slim line tube!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Uk NICE Guidlines re CPAP
Hi danceman and a big welcome to the forum. check your private messages Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi danceman,
Welcome! to the forum.! Best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2012, 11:15 AM)danceman Wrote: Hi there. Ihave been using a CPAP for over two years in France under their Sleep Hospital. I am now coming to grips with the UK and especially "NICE" who funds all NHS treatments.

Hi Danceman! Welcome
I'm not going to comment because I can barely keep track of what the rules and customs for treatment are in ONE country, much less two! But we have folks from all over so I'm sure someone will be along who knows the ins and outs of these systems! Good luck!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Haven't tried to sleep with it but regular breathing while awake is nice too. erouting 2 523 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: erouting
  Nice to have options, but... [A10 vs S9] anonEmouse2004 4 1,076 09-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: anonEmouse2004
  [News] Nice article on Hypopnea TASmart 1 1,231 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Could some nice person look at my night's data? :) michaelba72 5 1,707 09-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.