Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP]  Uncomfortable Stomach
Uncomfortable Stomach
Hello everyoneSmile, I am having trouble with bloating in my stomach .I have read a few post on here but they mention belching and gas that doesn't seem to be my problem . My problem is more bloat and stomach is very hard and uncomfortable. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago . since then my stomach has been getting worse and I gained about 30 lbs .i was under the assumption once you started on [/size][/font] you lost some weight? I am not sure of what is going on but if anyone has any advice please feel free to comment . Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Uncomfortable Stomach
Welcome to the forum, fea024.

That sounds like the "aerophagia" that many of us CPAPers suffer from. Have you asked your doctor?

Sometimes we get air into our stomach. When we say "gas," that may mean gas as in belching, bloating, or gas as in coming out the other end. Does belching relieve your bloating symptoms?

There are lots of threads on aerophagia here with some things to try.

If your machine does "Flex", that may help you with aerophagia. We need to know more about your machine. Under the display, does it say "REMstar blahblahblah?" What does it say after REMstar?

I presume you're asking about CPAP helping with weight loss. Apnea causes weight gain in some people, and CPAP can reduce that effect and let you lose weight. However, not everyone loses weight on CPAP.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Uncomfortable Stomach
(07-16-2014, 12:13 PM)fea024 Wrote: since then my stomach has been getting worse and I gained about 30 lbs .i was under the assumption once you started on ??? you lost some weight? I am not sure of what is going on but if anyone has any advice please feel free to comment

not to sound alarmist here, but have you been to your regular doctor about your stomach?

I had a friend who had similar issues, gained weight, very tight, hard abdomen, and it turned out he was having congestive heart failure, and the tightness in his abdomen was related to water retention.

since he's started treatment for that, he's peed out over 30 lbs of water, he told me that at the heart clinic, they told him that they have seen people with over 50lbs of excess fluid.

what machine are you using, specifically? (take the tank out of the humidifier and turn it over, look for a REF number and post it here, we'll help you deciper which it is.

you say you're using other software, which? does it let you see a waveflow? do you see a lot of central apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fea024,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I can't add any more to the great advice you have gotten so far, but hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!

Below are a few threads touching on this issue.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Aerophagia
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...h-Bloating

Hope they help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to your regular GP and get a work up. You've been on CPAP for 3yrs and unless you've made a change to the pressure, mask, or a change in how you are sleeping, aerophagia would be odd to be appearing now or to be "slowly getting worse" over the course of 3 yrs.

Using a CPAP does not cause weight loss. It may help because of the increased energy level, sure. One study actually showed that people with sleep apnea burn less calories during sleep using a CPAP than they did without one.

In case you do want to do a search for aerophagia, here's how to do a forum search:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rum-Search
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,229 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 619 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 679 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 605 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 781 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Mask leak and uncomfortable pressure longtermsufferer 6 782 12-17-2022, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Air in my stomach Old Bert 64 3,911 11-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Old Bert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.