Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gritty Foul Smelling Residue In Humidifier
RE: Gritty Foul Smelling Residue In Humidifier
I just assumed that he had used water in it at some time, then forgot to do so for a while. 

Me.....my reservoir gets emptied each & every morning like clockwork. I dump the remaining tap water, then it gets wiped dry with a tissue, then allowed to air dry for a few hours. 

Initially, I did use distilled water. Got tired of trying to keep some on hand, as well as the expense. I know it's only about a buck a gallon, but that adds up over time. 

I took that money, and redirected it towards gas......for my motorcycle.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 03:12 PM)Quick Wrote: Distilled water is pretty much totally "inert" -- nothing grows in it
This is a common misconception. There are bacteria that grow very well in distilled water. More growth will occur in distilled water than chlorinated tap water. I base this on years of experience dealing with microbial growth in industrial purified water systems that exceed the purity of grocery store distilled water. The only benefit to using distilled water is elimination of mineral scale.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My husband doesn't use his humidifier and doesn't get junk of any kind in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 06:37 PM)Melman Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 03:12 PM)Quick Wrote: Distilled water is pretty much totally "inert" -- nothing grows in it
This is a common misconception. There are bacteria that grow very well in distilled water. More growth will occur in distilled water than chlorinated tap water. I base this on years of experience dealing with microbial growth in industrial purified water systems that exceed the purity of grocery store distilled water. The only benefit to using distilled water is elimination of mineral scale.

yeewww. Here I had always considered distilled water as close to being a slow acting disinfectant...  good to know (I think. I might have washed my tank 3 or 4 times over the last 10 years).
Post Reply Post Reply
Good lessons here. Thanks.

I use tap water too. My ResMed humidifier reservoir developed a leak because of this.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 09:15 PM)DaveL Wrote: Good lessons here. Thanks.

I use tap water too.  My ResMed humidifier reservoir developed a leak because of this.

It developed a leak cause of using tap water? 

How so?  Dont-know Inquiring mind would like to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 06:37 PM)Melman Wrote:

Totally true! I had mold grow in my water tank directly in the distilled water for an oxygen generator. The thing looked like some sludge monster from outer space!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 09:56 PM)Big Guy Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 09:15 PM)DaveL Wrote: Good lessons here. Thanks.

I use tap water too.  My ResMed humidifier reservoir developed a leak because of this.

It developed a leak cause of using tap water? 

How so?  Dont-know Inquiring mind would like to know.

Once it starts building up in the cavities between the heating plate and the plastic wall, it can put pressure on the joint, when you use vinegar to remove the residue, repeat this for a few years, and with time it will start leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can get a few years out of the humidifier tub that's not bad on the mileage there. Especially since most insurances expect changing these out every few months. For you out of pocket people just change it when you want.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to see how long I can use my reservoir before it begins to fail. I see it as a piece of equipment that can possibly outlast all other pieces of CPAP. 

Then again, I have an appt. with my sleep doctor on May 6. I have truly been working on myself in an effort to want to remain on SA Therapy. This, I will discuss with him. 

I am going to see two years of treatment though, before I may decide to stop it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 111 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 374 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 264 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 912 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 512 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 429 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,245 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.