Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Unusual Smell
Unusual Smell
I have been having a smell that is getting into my lungs. I have been trying to figure the cause for quite some time. I'd like some help if anyone else has experienced anything like this.
More Info:
I have the machine with the little filter about 1 inch by 2 1/2 inch. The smell is not constant. It is not like a dirt or dust smell. I replace the filters often which helps for awhile. I bought more filters in case my others were too old. I clean everything often enough.
I am now thinking that the smell is from the finish of my end table where I keep the machine. The smell is very hard to describe. I describe it as metallic, but it really might be the petroleum based finish of the table.
It is in my lungs and I can smell it during the day as I exhale. Tonight I am going to put in a fresh filter and get it off the table.
Has anyone had this problem or guess what I might be dealing with?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unusual Smell
Welcome.

How long has this been happening?

Are you using the humidifier? Sometimes there is a smell in the water tank. Are you using distilled water? It gets worse if you let the water run dry and cook whatever crud is in the water.

CPAP will often clear up your sinuses and your sensitivity to smell may be more than it was before. Some of us also seem to pickup mystery smells after using CPAP that have no obvious explanation.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
No. I don't have a humidifier. It has been going on for a few months.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2014, 02:37 PM)rj21rjm Wrote: I'd like some help if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

I have noticed a bad odor from my CPAP machines, too. In one case I found that there was a nasty build up of greasy dust inside the machine itself, but in another case I found a different machine to be clean on the inside.

One thing I like to do is use a brush to clean the hose. That helps a lot. They are especially made for CPAP hoses and are available lots of places on the web, such as Amazon or most any CPAP supplier.

Another thing I do is empty out the water tray every morning, rinse and set aside to dry. Then at bedtime I fill it up and put it back in the machine.

At least once a week wash the hose and water tank.

Some people put a drop of fragrant liquid on a cotton ball and set it next to the air intake.

Quote:It is in my lungs and I can smell it during the day as I exhale.

I doubt it's in your lungs. If you look at the way our olfactory glands are connected directly to our brains, it makes sense that these smells create a memory. And it's that memory we experience when we sense that smell. In other words, it's in our brains, not in our lungs!

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was actually in your lungs, then it would mean you've been infected by a bacteria or fungus, at that point you should see a medical doctor ASAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rj21rjm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Not sure what the smell would be, but you could try to take it off of the end table you have it on now and see if that makes a difference, hopefully it will.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2014, 04:26 PM)rj21rjm Wrote: No. I don't have a humidifier. It has been going on for a few months.

Does your CPAP machine have a humidifier. It almost sounds like it does and running it dry might give off a metallic smell.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2014, 02:37 PM)rj21rjm Wrote: I have been having a smell that is getting into my lungs. I have been trying to figure the cause for quite some time. I'd like some help if anyone else has experienced anything like this.
More Info:
I have the machine with the little filter about 1 inch by 2 1/2 inch. The smell is not constant. It is not like a dirt or dust smell. I replace the filters often which helps for awhile. I bought more filters in case my others were too old. I clean everything often enough.
I am now thinking that the smell is from the finish of my end table where I keep the machine. The smell is very hard to describe. I describe it as metallic, but it really might be the petroleum based finish of the table.
It is in my lungs and I can smell it during the day as I exhale. Tonight I am going to put in a fresh filter and get it off the table.
Has anyone had this problem or guess what I might be dealing with?
Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Can anyone else smell what you are asking about ? If it is only you it might be worth reading more and talking to your doctor about it.

Experiencing weird metallic smell in nose and other types of phantom odors is a very frustrating experience.

If you start to suffer from phantosmia, you should do the following:

» Inform your doctor right away. The medical professional will then question you about your medical history, perform a physical, and possibly suggest certain types of tests – such as an endoscopy of the nose or MRI of the brain – to try to uncover the underlying cause of the condition.

» Once a potential cause has been identified, a treatment strategy will be prescribed

Can you try another machine to see if it goes away ?

Keep us informed and best wishes, Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
If you think it could be from the varnish on your side table try using a different table, else put a couple of table-cloths on it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,821 7 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,230 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,406 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,659 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.