Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Use Of Distilled Water In Humidifier
RE: Use Of Distilled Water In Humidifier
mask fit cycle x 2 is about a half hour...
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
If the water is potable, then it should be good enough to use in a CPAP. I used tap water and change it every day. I split my time between two places and have two machines. I will wash and air dry my tank if I'm gone for more than two days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny thing - I ran across someone the other day with an O2 cannula, obviously suffering from COPD. He was lighting up a fag, unfiltered, the flame of his lighter millimetres from his nose, a naked flame next to flowing O2. Never mind the COPD, O2 and naked flames don't mix well. But COPD and still smoking - bloody idiotic.

I have written about the science behind all this, I have explained all I am allowed to about what we found in testing and our recommendations, so if you don't follow those recommendations, if you ignore the very real findings, that is your look-out. Like any doc, I can only tell you what is, if you don't want to follow it, your problem, not mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2015, 11:22 AM)DocWils Wrote: Funny thing - I ran across someone the other day with an O2 cannula, obviously suffering from COPD. He was lighting up a fag, unfiltered, the flame of his lighter millimetres from his nose, a naked flame next to flowing O2. Never mind the COPD, O2 and naked flames don't mix well. But COPD and still smoking - bloody idiotic.
I've seen a similar situation and wondered how he got away with doing that. He did it while sitting on an RV propane tank. Small bang followed by large bang. It would cure smoking though.
Post Reply Post Reply
DocWils,

Just to let you know. I listened to what you had to say and am changing my cleaning cycles accordingly. I washed my humidifier tank last night for the first time in a while. Thanks for the info.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2015, 11:22 AM)DocWils Wrote: Funny thing - I ran across someone the other day with an O2 cannula, obviously suffering from COPD. He was lighting up a fag, unfiltered, the flame of his lighter millimetres from his nose, a naked flame next to flowing O2. Never mind the COPD, O2 and naked flames don't mix well. But COPD and still smoking - bloody idiotic.

I have written about the science behind all this, I have explained all I am allowed to about what we found in testing and our recommendations, so if you don't follow those recommendations, if you ignore the very real findings, that is your look-out. Like any doc, I can only tell you what is, if you don't want to follow it, your problem, not mine.

Your post was not in vain. I am a tap-water person that is negligent in equipment hygiene. As a result of your information, I did a complete cleanout of the humidifier tank, hose and mask. The tank was especially bad, but vinegar and some detailing removed the biofilm and calcium deposits. Nice to freshen things up, and I'll be more careful with the humidifier tank in the future. Not sure I'll switch to distilled, but I look forward to seeing the the results of the studies, once they are translated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All else being equal, distilled water has been boiled to steam and then condensed back to liquid water. Boiling kills bacteria. Enough for me, given the small codt of distilled water...for me, somewhat over $1.00 a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2015, 10:54 AM)philipquillen Wrote: Embossed on the top of the humidifier chamber is the phrase "Distilled Water Only".

I was told tap water was okay, but don't use all of the water up or you'll end up breathing in the dissolved solids that remain and also to wash it out each day. I use purified (reverse osmosis and deionised) water mine so that I do not have to do this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, zagam

Other Comments: Don't put whisky in the humidifier Smile

Irish whisky is trebled distilled, no problem with solids build-ups there

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk,

If I thought whiskey was safe in a humidifier, believe me, I would use it, at least when I wasn't on call Wink. I suspect you would have a dry nose, sore throat and a helluva headache, though, if it didn't kill you, since breathing alcohol fumes can be rather dangerous. But one can dream, can't one? Cardhu, for me, please.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 94 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,075 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 351 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 252 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 147 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 180 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,910 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.