Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Use Of Distilled Water In Humidifier
RE: Use Of Distilled Water In Humidifier
The weather getting warmer, won't be needing the water tank for now
Washed the tank and the heated tube and put them away

The AirSense 10 does not work without the water tank, I bought a side cover that replaces the water tank

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX7exM6zzKJ9ijHZXDy1Q...n4EjIRfdNb]

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2015, 01:59 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: It has been my understanding that all the ResMed tanks are hand washable but the nonstandard tank can be put in the dishwasher. When you all refer to washable vs standard is this what you mean or am I misinformed?

Resmed refers to them as "cleanable" and "standard." Many sellers refer to the cleanable tank as "dishwashable." I don't think I used the term "washable."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2015, 01:00 AM)zagam Wrote:
(09-28-2015, 10:54 AM)philipquillen Wrote: Embossed on the top of the humidifier chamber is the phrase "Distilled Water Only".

I was told tap water was okay, but don't use all of the water up or you'll end up breathing in the dissolved solids that remain and also to wash it out each day. I use purified (reverse osmosis and deionised) water mine so that I do not have to do this.

I don't think you'll be breathing dissolved solids, but it will stink. Whatever is in tap water tends to stink when cooked dry in a humidifier. Even distilled water stinks when cooked dry, but tap water is probably worse.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW...

I was told (today) from the DME not to put the water tank into the dishwasher, even in the top rack. (AirSense 10 Autoset)

He had a nice collection of partially melted tanks to show me. Unsure

I'm guessing the dish washer soap degrades the gasket, and the active drying cycle can melt the plastic. Especially on a higher end dishwasher. I have a cheapy dish washer, but I'm not going to risk it.

The DME guy also said you can use water from a Brita type filter system, if it is not well water. He showed me one gross, nasty tank from someone who did. I almost hurled. It stunk that bad.

In a pinch you can use bottle water or tap, but you risk getting a mineral build up you will have to get rid of with vinegar and water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2015, 05:46 PM)Tawaki Wrote: In a pinch you can use bottle water or tap, but you risk getting a mineral build up you will have to get rid of with vinegar and water.
Cleaning the tank in a solution of vinegar and water (1 part of vinegar to 10 parts of water) is good getting rid of any build-ups
You'll need to wash the tank in soap and water to get rid of the smell of the vinegar

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2015, 05:46 PM)Tawaki Wrote: FWIW...

I was told (today) from the DME not to put the water tank into the dishwasher, even in the top rack. (AirSense 10 Autoset)

He had a nice collection of partially melted tanks to show me. Unsure

I'm guessing the dish washer soap degrades the gasket, and the active drying cycle can melt the plastic. Especially on a higher end dishwasher. I have a cheapy dish washer, but I'm not going to risk it.

The DME guy also said you can use water from a Brita type filter system, if it is not well water. He showed me one gross, nasty tank from someone who did. I almost hurled. It stunk that bad.

In a pinch you can use bottle water or tap, but you risk getting a mineral build up you will have to get rid of with vinegar and water.

ResMed sells a "cleanable" tank. This is sold by many online retailers as a Dishwashable tank.

It's safe to wash disassembled water tubs in the dishwasher, per ResMed. "Please note that the disassembled tub lid, plate and base may also be washed in a dishwasher on the delicate or glassware cycle (top shelf only)."

I've washed ResMed S9 tanks in the dishwasher every week with the hottest "sanitize" setting my machine will do with no problem. "Cleanable" and "standard" tank. Top rack only.

The S9 cleanable tank will even survive being dropped into boiling water. Look in the Useful Links in my signature line below for the ResMed disinfecting instructions, which include 90C water immersion. The S9 "standard" tanks will be damaged by boiling water.

Were the melted tanks melted all over, or did they have small melted spots like they got onto the heating element?

The nasty tank was someone who didn't clean their tank regularly, I guarantee it. Even if using well water, dump the used water and rinse in the morning, clean when needed, and you won't have a problem. Vinegar will remove scale deposits. Even then, tanks aren't that expensive online, so just watch the tank, and replace when needed.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 92 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,075 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 348 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 246 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 145 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 178 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,909 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.