Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Using OSCAR to analyze session time data
Using OSCAR to analyze session time data
I used to use SleepyHead and installed OSCAR today.  I am happy with my BiPap and don't sleep without it.  But I wake up repeatedly.  Not a great problem as after 10-30 mins. I can get right back to sleep immediately.  My total sleep time is fine. OSCAR shows me graphs showing individual session statistics.  Above the graph is some sort of summary line which I can't interpret; I don't know what each number represents.  In the attached screenshot the summary reads:
Sessions: 2.00 / 6.00 / 10.00  Length: 0.02 / 1.28 / 9.42   Longest: 0.97 / 4.17 / 9.42 
Q1. Can someone "babytalk" this line to me?  I am also interested in the distribution pattern of session times and whether I am making any progress in getting longer sessions.  Q2. Does Oscar have any capability to help me in this analysis?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using OSCAR to analyze session time data
You have very fragmented sleep... as you already know.

The numbers you show are the time of each sleep session. If you could post a graph of the daily page including the left sidebar, minus the pie chart and calendar, then we can see the entire picture better.

Lay out your graph as shown in the link below in my signature line.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, OpalRose.  Using your cue, is it right to "babytalk" the session numbers I quoted in this this way?  "For the period shown (May 4 through Jun 24), the number of sessions per day ranged from a low of 2 per day to a median of 6 per day to a high of 10 per day.  Session length for all sessions over this period taken together ranged from a low of 0.02 hrs. to a median of 1.28 hrs. to a high of 9.42 hrs.  The longest session each day over this period ranged from a low of 0.97 hrs. to a median of 4.17 hrs. to a high of 9.42 hrs.

If I am right in following your explanation, these "babytalked" stats ring very true to my qualitative perception of the situation.

Attached is the daily screenshot you requested showing yesterday's data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I think there is a good chance many of your arousal arise from positional apnea. I see clear signs of amplified respiratory flow rate and clusters of hypopnea prior to each therapy break. Leg movements can cause similar arousals and volume changes. Also the time stamps suggest you sleep during the daytime. Are you on shift work?

There are som things we can do but I’d like to hear your ideas first. Check out the Positional Apnea in the optimizing therapy wiki in my signature links. I’d also like to see a zoomed image of the flow rate prior to arousal and therapy break. A 3-minute segment at 13:45 can be accomplished by using the event tag to click on the OA about that time and then use the time slider at the bottom of events to choose 3- minutes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Thank you, SleepRider. I am retired and live alone so I also sleep during the day.  The screenshot attached I hope is the one you wanted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have now read the wiki on positional apnea and the use of an SCC to deal with it.  The neck tuck of PA that the SCC counters and it sounds just like the neck tuck I typically unconsciously fall into while asleep in my naturally preferred side sleeping position.  I have been trying to sleep supinely but it's difficult to fight the urge to turn over.  I will definitely get an SCC.
Post Reply Post Reply
The example you posted is less than definitive, but seems to show some reductions in flow that might create the arousals we are concerned with. Arousal and sleep fragmentation is a frustrating issue. I worked for a long time with member Sheepless, who finally worked things out on his own. I'm going to ask him to look in on this threadand see if he has any additional ideas. A collar can work to prevent some big problems, but sleep hygiene and sticking with the therapy through awakenings also can make a big difference. It gets to be a habit, that once you awaken, you discontinue therapy, get up and wander around and then continue sleeping later. Habits are tough to break, and I suspect this pre-dated your use of CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
losprados880, your session bar chart looks nauseatingly familiar. as I've said in a couple other threads today, fragmented sleep can have many causes. for me, it's mainly periodic limb movement. based on what little description & data you've posted so far, I see nothing to suggest plm is what's bothering you, but toss it out there for you to look into.

a few questions & thoughts.

are you a big guy? your minute ventilation, respiration rate & tidal volume are all on the high side.

how did you arrive at s mode & your pressure settings? do you feel over ventilated? struggle to breathe with or against pressure. leak much?

have you tried vauto mode? it could be more comfortable (with Sleeprider's, bonjour's or other knowledgeable member guidance), & more importantly for immediate purposes, report flow limitations, which can be very disturbing to some, with or without flagged rera (respiratory effort related arousals).

scroll through your oscar daily charts starting at a 2 minute view scale, paying special attention to the last few minutes of each sleep session, looking for anomalies & patterns that might shed some light on why you're waking up. I see a couple clusters of obstructive apnea (oa) which would improve with a soft cervical collar (you'll get used to it if it improves your sleep). otherwise, you're looking for particularly ugly disordered breathing, repetitive patterns, idk, whatever there is to see.

keep a journal. pay attention to how you feel & what you experience on awakening, e.g., panting, sweating, racing pulse, congestion, headache, stomach ache, musle cramps, shaky, confused, disoriented, dizzy, thirsty, gotta pee, whatever.

do you wake abruptly or is it a long slow slog from deep sleep? do you dream?

are you aware of thrashing about as you come awake?

also note what you consume during the day, including meds, how energetic you are, how you feel, etc., again looking for any patterns between daily stuff & the quantity/quality of your sleep.

note your daytime symptoms - physical, mental, emotional. try to associate your overall 'how you feel', 1-10, for example, with how you rate your sleep the previous night, also 1-10 (or whatever method you prefer).

try to compress your in-bed time to, say, a 10 consecutive hour period of your choosing & stick with it. easier said than done, I know. limit naps as much as you possibly can. if you must, keep it to one daytime 20-30 minute nap.

what do you do between sessions? walk? watch tv? use you pc or phone? read? listen to music? eat?

do you feel compelled to remove the mask? why? do you feel compelled to get up & out of bed? why?

try to avoid removing the mask. try to roll over & go back to sleep instead. obviously, cutting the time between sessions is how we get more continuous sleep. but don't lay awake for more than, idk, say 30 minutes. if you don't fall asleep in that time, move to another dark quiet room & read something boring on paper or listen to something soothing for a bit before trying to sleep again.

that might sound like a lot but I'm sure we've just scratched the surface of things to observe. do as much or as little as you are comfortable with. the point is to pay attention & observe. write stuff down or dictate to a recorder.

which reminds me: try a sleep app that records noise to see what turns up. better, I think there are some very affordable digital night vision video cameras available these days. it would be particularly useful to see what's happening during those last few minutes before stopping therapy.

that's a start if you're willing. fragmentation is a tough nut to crack but it should be eminently possible to lengthen your sleep time & reduce the awake time. I've been struggling with it for years and actively working to resolve it for the 3.5 years I've been papping. there was a time when I couldn't sleep for an hour. now 3 & 4 hour sessions are the norm, with occasional heaven sent 6 or 7 hour sessions. not perfect but oh so much better & improving.

best luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I am also interested in the distribution pattern of session times and whether I am making any progress in getting longer sessions."

eyeballing your session bar chart, I'd say your sessions are trending shorter, the wrong way, in the last few weeks, but with less awake time (white space) between sessions, particularly if you focus on the bulk of the time rather than the outlying naps.

that's a pretty vague and inaccurate method of 'analysis' though. idk if that data can be exported to a spreadsheet but exporting or manually entering the data into a spreadsheet is the only way I know to analyze the info beyond eyeballing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 13 48 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 50 7 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.