Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Using VPAP During Waking Hours for Easier Breathing?
Using VPAP During Waking Hours for Easier Breathing?
Does anyone here use a VPAP during the day to help ease their breathing? A VPAP essentially provides non-invasive ventilation. I'm a "weird breather", even when I'm awake. I've always been a shallow breather, for one thing. As my COPD progresses, I often find it difficult to simply breathe during the day, and find the VPAP very tempting.

Kind of weird, I guess, wanting to use it more rather than less.

I'm just wondering if that could cause a problem or anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using VPAP During Waking Hours for Easier Breathing?
The other day while Googling the question about the 'Nippy 3', I came across a number of British articles about 'Non-Invasive Positive Pressure Ventilation' or NIPPV. They described its use for COPD and various other daytime breathing problems - mostly in a hospital environment, I think. I didn't pursue those, but you might start there, and discuss them with your doctor.

NIPPV is essentially the same as our Bi-level or BiPAP treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is excellent, helpful info! Thanks, pholynyk!
Post Reply Post Reply
I know in the pre-hospital care environment there has been some discussion on the use of NIPPV. I also know that for some injuries, the regulator used for supplemental oxygen therapy has an alarm to help "weird breathers" remember to breathe.

Could be something to it.

Of course, the potential danger is in the development of a reliance on a back-up rate in certain situations / illnesses...which could accelerate the progression to requiring ventilation.

Dig into it and bring the info to your doc. If you can make a good case and have a good doc open to trying things out, perhaps it'll be something you explore together.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2017, 12:45 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Of course, the potential danger is in the development of a reliance on a back-up rate in certain situations / illnesses...which could accelerate the progression to requiring ventilation.  
This. This is exactly what my concern is. I will talk to my doc about it.
It's funny how ten years ago I would cry before bed when I was trying to adapt to BiPap. Here I am now, fairly comfortable with my VPap and even hoping I can sometimes use it during the day. lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Your talking about "end-stage" COPD treatment. there is mask/mouthpiece ventilation done via a "Trilogy" machine. But you have to meet certain conditions to qualify for the therapy.

"Chronic respiratory failure consequent to COPD; and
Condition is life-threatening where interruption of respiratory support would quickly lead to serious harm or
death"

Well documented disease progression would be needed. If it feels easier to breathe with your vpap when your having difficulty then feel free to use it during the day. Of course if your feeling short of breath then that may be an indication of an exacerbation of your COPD.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I find myself in a similar situation, including COPD. It is easier to breathe while pressurized by my ASV at night versus the struggle with slow and shallow breathing during the daytime. And IMO body position is not a real factor for me. The just-retired pulmonary doctor didn't believe I need any therapy, other than the inhalers, to address what he believes to be between stage 1 and 2 COPD. However, the appeal judge for Social Security Disability has reported on-record during my appeal that the physicians reported to him that my COPD is already severe. Dont-know
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have less than 30% lung function, according to my recent pulmonary function test. No wonder I feel like doodoo all the time, eh?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,167 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 117 10 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.