Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Using a new mask with an old ResMed machine?
Using a new mask with an old ResMed machine?
Hi,

I'm a second time newbie. I've known that I've had Sleep Apnea for over two years. For various reasons I gave up and returned my machine two years ago. I've had a new sleep study that showed I need a BiPap machine. I'm in the process of waiting to be connected to a DME and get insurance approval to get a new machine and try again.

At the moment I have my mom's old machine. She used a ResMed VPAP S H4i.

I had a bunch of issues with how I horrible I felt the next day after trying the machine two years ago that I would like to try and figure out before I get my new machine. I figured that if I used my mom's machine (she passed away 4 years ago) that I would be using it under the radar of the compliance requirements that the doctor, DME and insurance will be watching for to give me time to try and work the various issues that caused me to stop last time. If I can figure this out soon the transition to a new machine should go better this time.

Thanks to the help of forums I was able to go into her clinical settings and change the pressure to what my new machine will be set to. 

My question is, on mom's ResMed there are settings to change for the type of mask I'm using. I would like to use my updated masks on her old machine. They are much more comfortable for me. I own a two year old ResMed AirFit F10, a two year old DreamWear Nasal Mask and a new DreamWear Full face mask. 

The problem is on mom's machine I have the mask setting choices of Activa, Mir Full, Ultra, Standard, Mirage and Swift.

I don't know what mask setting that I need to switch on mom's machine that would be similar to my masks so that I am using her machine correctly. Does anyone know what setting I should switch her machine to for my all three of my masks?

Thanks ahead for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using a new mask with an old ResMed machine?
I'd guess to use the Ultra which is a nasal mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The old S8 with H4i humidifier was a good machine, but for your new one, try to get the Airscurve 10 Vauto. There is much more flexibility with the Vauto, similar to using fixed CPAP vs Auto CPAP. Of course both provide full data that will let you fine-tune therapy. With any bilevel machine you have three main parameters; exhale (EPAP), inhale (IPAP) and pressure support (PS). With fixed VPAP-S you only have IPAP and EPAP. If your profile is accurate, you are currently at 18/12 which yields a pressure support of 6.0. Regardless of mask setting, how's it going?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2018, 07:46 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I'd guess to use the Ultra which is a nasal mask.

Thank you, I'll try that!

(07-08-2018, 08:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The old S8 with H4i humidifier was a good machine, but for your new one, try to get the Airscurve 10 Vauto.  There is much more flexibility with the Vauto, similar to using fixed CPAP vs Auto CPAP.  Of course both provide full data that will let you fine-tune therapy.  With any bilevel machine you have three main parameters; exhale (EPAP), inhale (IPAP) and pressure support (PS).  With fixed VPAP-S you only have IPAP and EPAP.  If your profile is accurate, you are currently at 18/12 which yields a pressure support of 6.0.  Regardless of mask setting, how's it going?

My doctor went on vacation the next day after I had my appointment to find out my results. He is planning to prescribe a standard BiLevel machine with the pressure setting of 18-12. My setting two years ago was 11-5, so the difference in two years surprised me. 

He asked me to call my insurance and local DME's while he was gone and send him a message the day before he returned to work as to which DME he can fax the prescriptions to. That gave me a wonderful opportunity to better educate myself before sending that message. I just sent it a few minutes ago as he returns tomorrow.

Thanks to this forum I was able to read a bunch of wonderful threads regarding dealing with a DME. I learned that I can choose the machine, not the one the DME forces on me. That both the Standard BiLevel and the Auto BiLevel use the exact same insurance code so when my insurance approves the code E0470 they have approved either machine! Plus, both cost the exact same, at least on Supplier #1 so I'm not asking my insurance company to pay more or the DME to loose money for the Auto. I've also read the thread about how much better an Auto would be compared to a standard machine. Lots of great reasons on that thread too!

Most recently I read the thread called "Your Cpap Buying Experience." That was just as much help as the others! I saved the location of that thread and will reread it before driving to my local DME when ever I get that far in this process. 

So when I sent the message to my doctor, I asked him if he will prescribe a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto with the Heated Climate Line humidifier and hose. If he still writes the prescription for a generic BiPap, I am still going to ask the DME for the ResMed Auto based on the information I learned on this board!

As far as how it's going, I've only used mom's machine twice for one hour each time so far. My ribs are sore, I have some asthma type reaction, a very dry mouth and it made me feel tired. Very similar to before. Two years ago the two different DME experiences were horrible and I had a different doctor which also contributed to the bad experience. Both refused to help me work through the issues. I was just supposed to figure it out.

This time, I'm going to start learning how to use Sleepy Head and ask questions to those of you more experienced so I can change my pressure if needed. I'm trying to figure out if I have mom's machine set correctly for the mask and hose length to see of that helps. I'm going to try adjusting the humidifier setting to see if that helps with the dry mouth. I'm going to not stress about not using it all night yet as I try to figure out why I'm sore and having an asthma type reaction. I know from posts that part of this is common for some people just starting out. I'll try to use it at least 1-4 hours a day or more as I try to work through these issues. I'm more determined this time to try to get this to work. I know I need it.

My mom's machine does have a data card inserted but I haven't taken it out and looked at it yet. I only have 2 hours of use. Most of it while I was awake. Everything else on the card would be my mom's data. If I can get in more sleeping time, maybe SleepyHead will be of help. I'm hopeful that at some point I'll have found the right mask and settings so that I will actually wake up feeling like I got a decent night's sleep and not be tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back 2nd timer. I wish you the best. The treatment is literally a life saver.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope you can obtain the Vauto. The fact your prescription has changed shows that your therapy needs may be dynamic. This can be tracked by an auto bilevel machine without the expense of a sleep study. Really the only defense of a fixed bilevel is to protect the earnings potential and higher costs of performing sleep studies. Your doctor should be willing to work with you in using the Vauto to meet your needs, recognizing it can be set to fixed pressures, or use auto pressures to adjust for changes in sleep stage, position and health which may affect your pressure needs. The use of the data from a Vauto can provide a useful tool to help optimize your therapy range and assist both of you to achieve the best results. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the support. I agree that the machine should be the auto. I didn't hear back from the doctor today. I'm truly so grateful to have found all the helpful threads on this site. 

No matter which way the doctor decides, I plan to walk into the DME office with printed information about the correct insurance code and how that can cover either machine and I printed the pages from Supplier #1 show that the price is exactly the same for both auto and standard Resmed bilevel machines.

I don't want my doctor getting upset with me though. So far he's been a good doctor. 

I'm still hesitant to use my mom's machine very long since I don't know for sure if I have the mask settings right. I don't want to start off with the wrong settings and make the symptoms that bother me even worse.

Also Sleeprider, it's interesting to see that you have the higher pressure of 18 and can use the nasal pillows. I'm glad to know that. I wasn't sure if I would be most comfortable sticking with a full face mask or try the nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Equipment] Are the ResMed Aircurve 10 S and ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto the "exact same machine"? kkjacks 3 267 02-20-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 502 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.