Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Using portable power with cpap
Using portable power with cpap
I am new to using cpap but thankfully I am sleeping soundly for the first time in my life. Okay, I love to go camping and was thinking about what kind of portable power I should use. I looked up some portable and travel power sources for cpaps and they were all so expensive. So I was wondering, could I use a battery power pack that has plug ins for 110 and also has 12 volt power and has a light and a compressor on it. You know the kind of back up power sources that you can buy at sears. I have one made by Xantrex and it's called a powerpack 400. I use it when I camp and charge my cell, blow up my air mattress, and even jump my car if I need to. So would this type of power source work with my resmed S9 cpap with h5i humidifier? If not then what have you used and what was the cost?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using portable power with cpap
Modified sine shouldn't be used with the CPAP. You could go with a battery a large deep cycle marine battery with a solar powered trickle charger and inverter. Someone posted a book in a different thread on the power requirements from the manufacturers specs. But a decent solar powered panel with an inverter to charge a decent marine battery would be nice and would be safe and quiet.

Also, welcome to the board!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jmoose56,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There are a few threads here on the board that deal with the ins and outs of battery powering CPAP machines.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on your pressure settings and use of heated humidifier (I dump that in that it eats batteries CRAZY).

Without heated humidification, I can get about 3-4 nights out of a 39 amp hour AGM that is probably half the size and weight of a heavy marine deep cycle battery (DeVillbiss Intellipap Auto). With the 12-24 v converter, I think the S9 is even more thrifty battery wise, but it costs ~ $100.

Resmed has a resource for battery consumption and what a given machine will require to run a given time in certain configurations:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-DC-power

or direct at

http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...lo_eng.pdf

OMM

Post Reply Post Reply
Omymyo is right on the mark. There have been many threads on this subject, one the other day. 12v -24v adapter to what ever battery will fill your needs. The first time I used my set up I used my old trolling battery to save my new one for the little fishing boat. What I did not know was that battery didn't come through the winter so well. And a few hours in it quit on me, not a good feeling to wake up to. The last time I used the new battery and got a couple nights no problem. Lesson being make sure you've got a good battery.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,404 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 979 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 565 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.