Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP VS. BI-PAP
CPAP VS. BI-PAP
One of the premier nursing education sites has produced a podcast that may be of general interest to newbie forum readers. The podcast is about 15-minutes in length.  Note: the information may apply to hospital-quality machines (ventilators) with additional oxygen level response. Believe it or not, most of the forum information is actually more technical and useful than this introductory podcast.

Quote:Ep173: BiPAP vs CPAP (an overview of non invasive respiratory support for nursing students): settings, uses, difference.
https://www.nrsng.com/bipap-vs-cpap/ 
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP VS. BI-PAP
WOW! I can see there is a lot I have to teach a nurse who has only learned from that episode! Especially since I have been told I can bring my machine when I go in. Adjustable PAP, Expiratory Pressure Relief, ... and the difference between expiring and exhaling...
It's no wonder the doctors don't seem to know what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2017, 03:55 PM)pholynyk Wrote: WOW! I can see there is a lot I have to teach a nurse who has only learned from that episode! Especially since I have been told I can bring my machine when I go in. Adjustable PAP, Expiratory Pressure Relief, ... and the difference between expiring and exhaling...
It's no wonder the doctors don't seem to know what's going on.

It was my initial experience in 2008 that my sleep doctor was only interested in referring business to his sleep center and recommending his preferred DME. He was mostly concerned with compliance monitoring and getting paid for the mandatory visits. I wish I had known about this forum at that time. I now know more than most, but find myself constantly learning and experimenting. My current doctor is many orders of magnitude above my original doctor, but still has limited time to analyze data.

Best of luck taming the medical beast.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I think expiring is the result of having that one big 10 minute long apnea? Right?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I saw the title to this thread and checked it, instead of asking the same question. As I have mentioned before, I have never had a lot of OAs, but do have hypopneas, and my SpO2 drops during sleep. Before I started a touch of oxygen added, I would have drops as low as 77%. With the O2, It has helped, and only drops to 83-85%. I have COPD, asthma, really screwed up lungs. Anyway, I was wondering if Bipap might be better for me than even the APAP I am using. I have adjusted my pressure up to 9-18 range on the APAP, but according to Sleepyhead, it rarely if ever goes over 12.
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The answer is, maybe. The positive end expiration pressure (PEEP) as expressed in bilevel as EPAP would still need to be relatively high to promote oxygenation. Pressure support (IPAP) would resolve hypopnea, flow limitation and can encourage greater respiratory volume by reducing breathing effort. So the theory is on your side.

Are you currently using EPR, and have you had any problems with centrals?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, EPR: Full Time 3cmH2O, No problem with centrals. AHI last night was .39. Actually has been running <1 for a while now since I tweaked settings on APAP .
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
It may help if you put up a chart.

this titration guide may shed some light too
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2017, 07:22 AM)jsielke Wrote: Anyway, I was wondering if Bipap might be better for me than even the APAP I am using.

You can also have an auto-BiPAP. It could make things worse.

You could do as I did, buy one on craigslist and see how it works for you. When I got mine tweaked I showed the settings to my doctor and asked her to write a prescription for a new one. She did.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.