Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Wake up snoring despite low AHI, low leak rate etc
RE: Wake up snoring despite low AHI, low leak rate etc
Having used both cushion types on the F20 mask, AirFit silicone and AirTouch memory foam, I couldn't control leaks well with small, medium, or large in silicone and with all kinds of adjustments. I fought that mask for almost 2 years. I concluded it wasn't a good mask choice for me after all.

I took a sleep study about a year ago that got me the Fisher and Paykel Simplus. Now that is much better than the F20. A bit later, I got the F&P Vitera, even better than Simplus. If you must use a full face, try the Vitera. It doesn't need to be tight, in fact it must be quite loose to seal best.

If you get either, I can follow-up with adjusting tips as otherwise it'll leak into your eyes. Likely you should consider lesser invasive masks like a pillows or nasal first.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I tried nasal pillows before and they're not for me. I have a lot of issues with congestion, and I also found them extremely uncomfortable. Happy with the comfort of a facemask, even if seal isn't currently ideal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SarcasticDave, I'll definitely pick one of those up. As I've always had difficulty with the fit and seal. 

Is the sizing similar to my current mask (e.g.: if I'm medium in this one will I be medium in that)? Also, is it silicon too, as if possible I'd prefer to move away from that as I'd ideally like to be using a mask that didn't require using third party covers.

Really appreciate all the help on this so far. Put those changes into the machine and tightened my mask slightly. Had somewhat fitful sleep last night, lots of waking up throughout the night, but I do feel more rested. I've attached last nights results from Oscar.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the Simplus and Vitera are silicone based. To me they feel different than the ResMed F20 silicone. However I'm not sensitive to the silicone like some.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks in the new chart show a significant improvement with median and 95% being 4.8 and 13.2 vs 9.6 and 30. Flow limitation has basically disappeared and no break in therapy. The higher AHI is affected by a cluster just as your night ended, other than that, nothing to worry about. These settings worked better and settled pressure fluctuations. I think you will eventually move to a minimum pressure of 8.0, but for now, just leave things the same.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brilliant, thanks so much for you help. Really appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know how useful this is, as I forgot to unlock my SD card before I put it in machine last night, so I don't have a record of the night. But I continually woke up, dozens of times, after sleeping for a few seconds. Haven't experienced that often since I had my CPAP so I wonder if one of the new settings could be responsible? Will have a record of tonight if it repeats.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI: You have no need to lock the SD card. That advice is strictly for the S9 series, an older series from ResMed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 105 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 43 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 245 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 118 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.