Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Waking up during treatment
Sad 
Waking up during treatment
Hello everyone!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in mid January 2022 with 43/AHI. After one month of try-outs, I have chosen nasal mask (the least annoying one) with Resmed autoset 10 CPAP machine.

I have been using CPAP machine for almost 2 month. Unfortunately, I have noticed 0 positive aspects of therapy during the day, I'm still exhausted, fatigued, irritated and sleepy from the minute I wake up in the morning. The problem is (and im no expert), that I cannot get continuous amount of sleep.

Without the mask and machine I will wake up after 2-3h to pee, than I sleep for 4-5h till I wake up. With the mask and machine on, I will also wake up after 2-3h to make a toilet visit, than sleep for 2-3h more, wake up and cannot fall asleep with the mask on, so I will take it off and take last part of sleep for 1-2h.

I have no idea why im constantly waking up, and my Oscar data is not telling me much. I don't feel like there is any particular reason for me waking up during the treatment. My sleep doctor is also wondering what is the case. Is there any hope for a guy like me, or I'm doomed?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up during treatment
Welcome!  You have two problems that I see. 

1. Positional apnea is when you get into a position where you cut off your own airway. No pressure changes will help, you have to find away to stay out of that position. 

It is also called chin tucking because when your chin drops down to your sternum it cuts off your airway. You can chin tuck in any sleep position but back sleeping is the worst position.  Another problem is sleeping on to high of pillows or pillow. 

If those changes don’t help a collar is used to stop chin tucking. I have a link on collars in my signature. Please take a look at the link. 

2nd problem is your min pressure you have it set at 5. You also have your EPR at 3. EPR is exhale pressure relief. It gives you a lower exhale pressure to make it easier to exhale but it also helps with H events and flow limits. 

To get EPR to work I would set your machine to

Min7
EPR 3 FULL TIME
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
I am making changes to my machine right now, and also ordering some collar online. I will post the result here! 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
@staceyburke

Hey, I've listened to your advice and cranked up my minimal pressure in the machine aswell as wearing Collar during the sleeptime. However, nothing has changed after this one night. I'm still fatigued, sleepy and had woken up 3 times during the night. I'm posting all of my OSCAR data in the attachments for better insight into my issue. 

If anyone got some tips I would be glad to hear them. Maybe some additional info about me:
32 male
5.11"
175 lbs
non smoker
non drinker
exercising every other day
eating healthy (most of the time  Dancing)

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 40 11 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 196 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.