Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Waking up, feeling unable to breathe with mask on
RE: Waking up, feeling unable to breathe with mask on
When I first started, I had a respironics gel, that had a large dead space and needed more pressure/ vent flow, to not find myself gasping for air. Look up your mask and it will tell you stuff about it. Or just raise the pressure, as most have said.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a similar situation where I'd wake up because the air felt stale and not fresh and I'd have a pain in my chest/lungs. I eventually traced it to a rubbery smell on the end of my hose that connects to my f20 mask. I replaced the hose and everything has been fine. I've only every heard of one other person experiencing the same problem as mine. So I have the arisen se 10 with the humidity hose. Try changing hose or soaking it in 1part vinigar to 3 parts water and soap. Worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
had the same Trouble breathing whenever the pressure was set too low (e.g. when ramp function was active at 4 mbar) and whenever I used a 15mm hose instead of a 22mm.

When the DME saw me gasping on the ramp function, she immediately upped the setting to a 6mbar minimum. I actually never use the ramp function at all.
I used the original 15mm heated hose from respironics and also set the machine correctly to 15mm and used it for about 6 months. The result was miserable as compared to the 22mm hose. Even when I slightly upped the pressure setting.

In your case, 5mbar is probably too low for you now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 809 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 258 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.