Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Waking with elevated heart rate >100bpm
Gross 
Waking with elevated heart rate >100bpm
Greetings (my first post!),

WOW, this is very cool and you folks are awesome!

My Problem:
Last few weeks, something has been waking me up with an elevated heart rate ~110bpm (80=normal). Usually in the middle of a dream (not a nightmare) during the morning hours. I assumed it was Apneas and that I just needed to increase my pressure due to aging; so that's how I found you.

My Concern:
These wakeups are disrupting my sleep and can't be good for my heart (beating >100bpm).

My Background:
Male, age 53. I've been using my ResMed S9 AutoSet for a few years (only 1yr of data) with no problem and no recent doctor visits. It totally cured my snoring and I like it!

My Stats:
Last Night (pretty typical): Hrs=8.5, ApneaIndex=0.2 (Obstructive=0.1), HypopneaIndex=0.3, Leak95%=3.6, LeakMax=4.8, Pressure95%=8.1, PressureMax=9.5.

My Question:
Are these wakeups due to apneas, CPAP/Settings, or other?

THANKS for any feedback !!!!
…Snorkeler
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking with elevated heart rate >100bpm
Hey Snork, welcome aboard! Your stats look great! I don't see anything in the above numbers that would be cause for concern. So that suggests you may need to investigate other ideas. Do you happen to own one of those cute and darling little o2 sensors that go on your finger? It might be interesting to know what your o2 level is doing when this occurs. Have you had a lot of weight gain in the last few months? You look pretty slender in your avatar pic... Anyhow, maybe it's time for a good old physical or checkup with your pcp doc person. I don't think it's anything to stress about, but it sure wouldn't hurt to follow up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your stats look good. CPAP settings and apneas should not be causing what you describe with that low an AHI.

May I suggest a cardiac workup by a cardiologist.
At 53, with sleep apnea; if you've not see a cardio doc, might just be time to start.
Rhetorical question: How's your weight, blood pressure, and blood glucose?

Could just be adrenaline release caused by dream content.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snorkeler,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Snorkeler,

IMHO you have found a great place

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mongo & Retired Guy!
Good questions. I'm 5'10" and 180# with BP=138/90; not sure about Blood Glucose and no recent cardio work. I found an O2 sensor on Walgreen.com for $39.99, sounds like a good investment and cardio workup sounds like a no brainer. BTW, I have lot's of insomnia due to Lyme disease and found that 7oz of vodka before bed get's me about 3 cherished hours of sleep with no events or wake ups. After that, sleep is hit and miss. Yes, I know about the health risk from the booze but that's minor compared to health problems associated with Lyme disease, not to mention epilepsy and antiseizure med side effects.
Thanks for all your help!
...Snorkeler
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 25.8 which is consider just slightly overweight. (24.9 is top of normal range)
Your BP is approaching the upper limits of the desired range. For today's social norms your weight is actually quite good.
So, you are perhaps on an antibiotic for the Lyme disease. (You are being treated for the Lyme disease?)
Plus anti-seizure meds.

7 ounces of Vodka is a bit of a hit on alcohol. Most sleep docs discourage ethanol use.
It's a bi-phasic drug: first a sedative then a stimulant. ergo, the hit and miss after a few hours.

I suggest a consult with your doc. Might be time to start a BP medication; and if he/she picks a Beta blocker like metoprolol, it will reduce your heart rate. Whether a Beta block is a proper choice depends on your medical history. They are not first line BP control drugs anymore. And, they can be an issue for asthmatics. Calcium channel blockers are in favor as first line BP meds -- like Amlodipine. This is a discussion for you to have with your doc. The point is to reduce cardiac afterload to reduce changes to the left side of the heart that become a problem as the years advance. These are things to consider -- I am not qualified to diagnose you nor prescribe for you.

To the main subject of this board... sounds like you are doing well in terms of sleep apnea.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 01:13 PM)Snorkeler Wrote: My Concern:
These wakeups are disrupting my sleep and can't be good for my heart (beating >100bpm).
See your doctor to alleviate your concern, you don,t want to ignore heart warning signs

Post Reply Post Reply
No, this is not apnoea related, from what you have shown us. However, there are a lot of reasons for your problem and it behoves me to point you straight to your physician for a consultation. Mention your vodka habit in context with this, and all the various meds you take. My first guess is an anxiety reaction brought on by the combination of meds and vodka, but it could be just about anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
One way to see if it is an apnea event is to note the time you wake up then check the data the next day. I'm guessing you'll see an increase in respiration but not an actual event. Or if you do, it won't be any different from any other.

This is why a data capable machine is so important. You can almost immediately rule out sleep apnea as the culprit. Your AHI is good so it is not like it is out of control and your pressure needs immediate adjusting.

My advice? Go see your GP. Time to sit down and have a talk. This ain't something to fool around with.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 5 147 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 8 1,500 1 hour ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 89 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 183 04-19-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 387 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 224 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 362 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.