Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Waking with elevated heart rate >100bpm
RE: Waking with elevated heart rate >100bpm
My heart issues were caused by my OSA. However the heart doc flat out stated booze and heart meds simply do not mix, the one kills off the other. I started on Alpha blockers, than was switched to a calcium channel blocker with an Ace inhibitor, and have (after 10 odd years) dropped to 'Bystolic' which (for me) has almost zero side effects. FYI? Side effects of 'beta blockers' is lots of sleep - dunno if in your case, but it might help.

I too say it's time to see a good heart Doc~! These just aren't the type of things to put off in my book.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 01:13 PM)Snorkeler Wrote: My Problem:
Last few weeks, something has been waking me up with an elevated heart rate ~110bpm (80=normal). Usually in the middle of a dream (not a nightmare) during the morning hours. I assumed it was Apneas and that I just needed to increase my pressure due to aging; so that's how I found you.

My Concern:
These wakeups are disrupting my sleep and can't be good for my heart (beating >100bpm).

My Background:
Male, age 53. I've been using my ResMed S9 AutoSet for a few years (only 1yr of data) with no problem and no recent doctor visits. It totally cured my snoring and I like it!

My Stats:
Last Night (pretty typical): Hrs=8.5, ApneaIndex=0.2 (Obstructive=0.1), HypopneaIndex=0.3, Leak95%=3.6, LeakMax=4.8, Pressure95%=8.1, PressureMax=9.5.

My Question:
Are these wakeups due to apneas, CPAP/Settings, or other?

(04-09-2014, 08:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: One way to see if it is an apnea event is to note the time you wake up then check the data the next day.

Although OSA is definitely known to cause wake ups with elevated heart rate (that is what caused me to get an overnight sleep test, leading a diagnosis of OSA) much more could be contributing to the problem, so a visit to your doctor is certainly important.

Regarding OSA as a potential contributing cause, if checking your sleep data shows corresponding apnea events, you may be able to minimize these events by taking action to prevent yourself from sleeping on your back. I wear a teeshirt with a tennis ball in a pocket sewn high on the back, right between my shoulder blades, so that if I roll onto my back while sleeping I will not stay in that position. REM stage sleep (dreaming) while in the supine position is usually the very worst case for OSA.

In addition, a 95% pressure of 8.1 is fairly low and tolerable to most, so if the awakenings are correlated with apnea events, raising your minimum EPAP to 8 or higher might also help minimize these events.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
justMongo,
Thanks again for all your feedback, you're very knowledgeable! I'm a bit overwhelmed with this Board and all the great feedback. I'm not sure how all this works but I boiled down your feedback to address all the issues:
(04-09-2014, 03:55 PM)justMongo Wrote: Issues,
BMI: 25.8 which is consider just slightly overweight/not bad.
Lyme: Are you being treated? Antibiotics? Plus anti-seizure meds?
Sleep: Alcohol is a bi-phasic drug: first a sedative then a stimulant.
BP: approaching the upper limits of the desired range. {Stage 1}.
BP med: Might be time; Calcium channel blockers are first line.
Heart rate: beta blocker like Metoprolol, would reduce heart rate.
Goal: reduce cardiac afterload to reduce changes to the left side of the heart that become a problem as the years advance.
So,
BMI: thanks for the math, doesn't sound like a big issue for me.
Lyme: Not treating b/c attempts spike my epilepsy/memory loss.
Sleep: I tried Silenor (vs Alcohol) for sleep but I literally couldn't pee.
Heart rate: Metoprolol sounds interesting; will discuss with my doc.
Goal: help my heart age, so I can age along with it!
Now,
I have some new info, I think I reply to my own post to share it.
-Snorkeler

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey everyone!
Thanks for the overwhelming support and I'm a bit overwhelmed with this Board.
Paula,
I managed to capture 2 of these events in my CPAP data (graph attached). I'm not sure how severe those events are? My latest theory on these wakeups is that seasonal allergies are plugging my nose more than usual resulting in OSA wakeups in the morning hours after the booze wears off. I tried some OTC nasal spray which helped for a couple nights so now I'm considering the Rx nasal spray someone else mentioned.
...Snorkeler

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 09:06 PM)Snorkeler Wrote: Hey everyone!
Thanks for the overwhelming support and I'm a bit overwhelmed with this Board.
Paula,
I managed to capture 2 of these events in my CPAP data (graph attached). I'm not sure how severe those events are? My latest theory on these wakeups is that seasonal allergies are plugging my nose more than usual resulting in OSA wakeups in the morning hours after the booze wears off. I tried some OTC nasal spray which helped for a couple nights so now I'm considering the Rx nasal spray someone else mentioned.
...Snorkeler

Not significant. Short duration. One is obstructive and one is an open airway (central.) They are well separated in time (not clustered.)

So, when's your doctor appointment?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for checking out my graph Mongo! You really go the extra mile:
(04-15-2014, 09:14 PM)justMongo Wrote: Not significant. Short duration. One is obstructive and one is an open airway (central.) They are well separated in time (not clustered.) So, when's your doctor appointment?

Sounds like better news than I expected. No Dr. appt yet but I did purchase an Oxymeter (very cool) and checked it after both early wakeups this morning: Oxy/HR=98/78 and 96/80. I suspect those readings are within normal limits. Interestingly, I was breathing heavy at both wakeups like before and expected an elevated heart rate? But nope, 80bpm is typical resting rate for me. Hum.

A bigger issue last night for me was dry/plugged nose caused by 2 previous nights with OTC nasal spray before bed. I resisted last night but my nose was completely clogged after my first wake up (always 3hrs after the booze wears off). I had to "irrigate" my schnozz with a saline based spray and finally got back to sleep.

As for the Dr. appt, I understand your concern. Last time I gave up the booze, my "lyme insomnia" got so bad that finally went to the sleep doc who only knows two words: "sleep study". He even put me through a narcolepsy sleep study and ultimately diagnosed me with "mild sleep apnea". Then he started selling me CPAP "supplies" with a weekly phone call to check my supply levels. I've since gotten wiser about the racket. Maybe I should put vodka in my CPAP vs. distilled water? :-)

Stay tuned!
...Snorkeler

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 10:43 AM)Snorkeler Wrote: Sounds like better news than I expected. No Dr. appt yet but I did purchase an Oxymeter (very cool) and checked it after both early wakeups this morning: Oxy/HR=98/78 and 96/80. I suspect those readings are within normal limits.

Hi Snorkeler and welcome.

You are correct, your numbers are in a "normal" range.

FYI: O2 sats from 95-100 are usually considered normal in folks not having any medical issues particularly, cardiopulmonary issues. Below 90 is considered low and a cause for concern.

Accepted "normal" HR in adults has a wide range; from 60 -100. Under 60 is what is called Bradycardia and over 100 is considered Tachycardia. However, well-trained athletes are typically below 60 but they of course are not "normal!" Wink
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
Snorkeler -- what are you doing about the Lyme Disease?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 10:43 AM)Snorkeler Wrote: Maybe I should put vodka in my CPAP vs. distilled water? :-)

Sounds like a good idea to me (jk). After all it is distilled!

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 01:37 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-16-2014, 10:43 AM)Snorkeler Wrote: Maybe I should put vodka in my CPAP vs. distilled water? :-)

Sounds like a good idea to me (jk). After all it is distilled!

PaytonA
How do you tell which is which, both looks the same ... distilled and colorless

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 91 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 117 11 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,412 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.