Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Warning!
RE: [CPAP] Warning!
My biggest problem with that is my Yellow Lab.

He sleeps on the floor beside my side of the bed...

Need I say anymore?

eeew Laugh-a-lotDielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep mine on top of a tallish dresser. My dobie mix mutt sleeps on the floor next to my bed and it is not up high enough! Seriously - cpap magnifies odors beyond belief and I have been wakened from a dead sleep on several occasions to a fug I just can't get out of the cpap. Once I even got up and changed the filter, because an odor was still in the cpap after being gone from the room. I would *love* a better air filtration solution!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP seems to concentrate odors somehow. If I cook something and air out the room, I'll often get a blast of whatever it was when I start the CPAP a few hours later. It seems to be stronger in the CPAP than it ever was in the room.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
NOW you tell me! I just thought it that was some funky aromatherapy!

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems like you could rig a carbon filter in series with other filtration. This would probably add resistance, so the blower will be a touch louder. gogle the charcoal filter sheet and find a sheet you can trim to size, and maybe replace the foam filter. I would still use the fine filter between that and the blower.

let us know if you try this.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
this one summer at scout camp,,,,

One of the adult leaders brought a battery so he could use his cpap. He was also the type that tended to go to bed earlier than most of the rest of the leaders.

The adult tents were lined up along a bank of trees along the edge of a very small dried up stream.

This one evening the rest of the leaders were sitting around the camp fire. The leader that used cpap was already in his tent, asleep.

We began to smell a particular order. Seems a skunk was walking along that dried up stream and something alarmed it.
He came that leader bursting out of his tent,,,,,,,

It sure was funny for the rest of us, but boy was he suffering from that forced feeding of the smell.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 11:54 AM)estgad Wrote: this one summer at scout camp,,,,

One of the adult leaders brought a battery so he could use his cpap. He was also the type that tended to go to bed earlier than most of the rest of the leaders.

The adult tents were lined up along a bank of trees along the edge of a very small dried up stream.

This one evening the rest of the leaders were sitting around the camp fire. The leader that used cpap was already in his tent, asleep.

We began to smell a particular order. Seems a skunk was walking along that dried up stream and something alarmed it.
He came that leader bursting out of his tent,,,,,,,

It sure was funny for the rest of us, but boy was he suffering from that forced feeding of the smell.

Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot
This space for rent.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 11:54 AM)estgad Wrote: this one summer at scout camp,,,,

Oh, my! with that lead up I was certain there was going to be some kind of awful Boyscout prank performed!!!! Rolling laughRolling laughRolling laugh

Not sure much is worse than fresh skunk tho! My dog got skunked right under my bedroom window last summer before I got cpap... I can only imagine!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest taking daily or twice daily a "probiotic" such as Garden of Life brand "Primal Defense Ultra" so that the air which is swallowed and passes through the system will not get smelly. Also, probiotics are a great boost to our immune system and general good health.

With the probiotic, I also take a time release Magnesium pill (Jig Saw brand sustained release Magnesium) to avoid constipation which sometimes happens when we take probiotics. A moderate amount of Magnesium is also very good in general for our health.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 07:46 PM)LanceC Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 07:44 PM)archangle Wrote: You need to order the special hypoflautlentic filters.

You mean Stanx?

I saw this on SharkTank fore real Rolleyes

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 608 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  [CPAP] Can you get a warning about no SD card? jerrykur 8 624 08-06-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,234 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
Angry WARNING - POSSIBLE RESMED KNOCK-OFF srlevine1 11 4,635 04-30-2022, 01:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] Warning: Malware found on Contec RS01 gnluna 14 1,782 01-25-2022, 06:46 AM
Last Post: selfcoacher
  [News] WARNING: AROMATHERAPY srlevine1 1 703 10-27-2021, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [How to] WARNING: RESMED WATER CHAMBER MISTAKE srlevine1 3 3,493 04-13-2021, 04:47 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.