Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Water Chamber (Resmed Airsense 10) empties every 2 days. What does it mean?
RE: Water Chamber (Resmed Airsense 10) empties every 2 days. What does it mean?
(06-24-2018, 06:42 AM)pholynyk Wrote: And, of course, the manufacturers recommend dumping it out every morning, no matter what, to let it dry out. Only people with free water do that.

I have recently discovered a covert reason why the manufacturers recommend that.  The inside of my lid has developed black specks... mold.  ACK!!!!

Even though I was refilling my water every day, I never did it until right before I went to sleep.  So it has been closed & sealed every minute of every day for a year and a half. 

NOW I empty it in the morning (it's practically empty anyway, since I go through a lot of water), rinse it out, and let it dry by my sink throughout the day.  And at night, I fill it and re-install it in my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
recently I usually have had humidity set to off or lowest setting and hose temp at a low temp, like 76F or 78F. a tank of water lasts at least a week. never tracked but guess a gallon of distilled water lasts a month. in winter settings are higher and a tank lasts 3-5 days.

I know I can find the answer to this with a search but hoping someone has it on the top of their head, tip of the tongue, handy, whatever. if I frequently have a runny nose the morning after, do I want to set humidity higher or lower and/or hose temp higher or lower?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the DreamStation but I go through 3/4 or more of the water tank every night. I sleep about 8 hours. My apartment tends toward the dry side.

I've just added rinsing out the water tank and the mask every morning to my routine. Doesn't bother me too much.
But I also only use filtered water, not distilled water. I have to carry my groceries home, so buying water seems silly to me... Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I smell the tank before adding water. If it has any smell, usually a sort of faint swampy smell, it's times to clean it. Another check is if I run my finger around the bottom edge and it is slippery, something is growing and it needs to be cleaned. I use home reverse osmosis water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same for me.  Fill er up just about full every night.  Every morning I might get 1/4 cup back.  If the level is low in the morning I dump it out because it costs less that $1.00 / gallon.  If there is lots I pour it back into the jug and leave the reservoir open during the day.  Resmed Autoset 10  with climate air hose. Humidity set at 3 temp at 25 deg C.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2018, 12:08 PM)sheepless Wrote: recently I usually have had humidity set to off or lowest setting and hose temp at a low temp, like 76F or 78F.  a tank of water lasts at least a week.  never tracked but guess a gallon of distilled water lasts a month.  in winter settings are higher and a tank lasts 3-5 days.

I know I can find the answer to this with a search but hoping someone has it on the top of their head, tip of the tongue, handy, whatever.  if I frequently have a runny nose the morning after, do I want to set humidity higher or lower and/or hose temp higher or lower?

IMO hose temp set according to minimize condensation, lowering humidity would be my first response to runny nose issue...
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently switched from tiny pillows (P10) to a FFM, and I'm going through a LOT more water. I used to go through a little more than half the tub, and now I'm running the tub dry every day. (I live in an arid climate.)

So I've now learned that mask choice can make a big difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks SDave. I can't figure out the nose and humidity. had humidity on 3 a few months ago and was fine for a while, then the runny nose. backed off humidity til off, seemed to help, then stuffy nose. cranked humidity back up to 1, runny nose again and sneezing. at 2, not quite as runny nose, still sneezing. not a cold. at 2 I'm using 2/3 a tank per night! wonder if humidity affects people differently or same people differently at different times. to reduce runny nose some say more humidity some say less. makes no sense to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. I'm not attempting to be a deep thinker, scholarly or etc., but for myself on this identical issue, mine just has a bit of randomness to the nasal condition of runny or stuffy. How I handled it was set tube temp all the way up all the time. I do vary the humidity between 4-8, but it typically stays at 6-8, only going to 4 or 5 if it's extreme (read in this is very rare).

The randomness for me is that, picking randomly setting 6, sometimes that's great results, sometimes stuffy nose, sometimes a runny nose, all at that 6. Maybe me thinks it's more dependant upon room conditions than I realize... Dont-know

PS mine seems to use about the same amount of water, 3/4 tub, regardless of 6-8 setting, but maybe that is because of the window A/C affecting room humidity...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My humidifier is set to "6".. will drop to "5" in a couple of months because I'll get rainout when the night temps drop below 70.
Currently, normal work night (6-7 hours sleep) half tub.  Weekend (9-10 hours), it drops to just below the seam... 3/4 tub?
With it set on 5, I can get two nights out of a tub on work nights.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 388 12 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,724 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,600 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 88 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.