Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Water and the different type of water
RE: Water and the different type of water
I have a whole house water filter. So I just use water from the tap.

Yes, I do get a small bit of build-up of minerals, so I rinse (with tap water) the tub every couple days. If the build-up is visible (after a couple weeks, or a month or so), then I soak it in 50/50 vinegar/water for the day, and gently scrub it off (my fingertips work just fine for that "scrubbing").

If I sleep too long and my humidifier loses all its water (because I live in a very dry climate), I'll wake up to a burnt-popcorn smell, an empty humidifier tub, and visible minerals stuck on the bottom of the tub. I do the vinegar/water soak for the day, and it comes right off.

I imagine if I used distilled water, I would avoid this "trouble". But I think it'd be more hassle to use distilled water, so I'm content with my choice to use my home's filtered tap water.

When I've traveled and not had access to my home's water (because I usually try to bring it with me... I'm a bit of a water snob LOL), I use bottled water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m making a trip to Scotland and the water is apparently good to drink from the tap. Well they use the local source to make some of the best whiskies so can’t be all that bad..hehehe. I’m curious to know whether the chlorine content is such that you can smell it when straight tap water is used in the humidifier.

Back home I just use filtered tap water which removes most of the chlorine.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water and the differen type of water
(02-17-2018, 11:59 AM)pupcamper Wrote: I'm not familiar with alkaline water, but if it isn't acidic it should be ok.
Alkaline Ph (above 7) is just as bad as an acidic Ph (below 7).
Honestly, "Alkaline water" is snake oil and does nothing beneficial for the body.
Pure water has a Ph of 7.  Blood is around 8.  Saliva and urine are around 6.  Anything above 9 or below 5 can be irritating or harmful.

The reason manufacturers specify "distilled" water is because any dissolved solids will be left behind as the water evaporates into the CPAP stream.
Spring water is naturally, and sometimes artificially fortified with minerals.  This may be beneficial to your body to drink it, but they will be left behind in the bottom of your humidifier tank and will provide no benefit to your CPAP therapy.

Distilled water is cheap (I pay a buck a gallon at Walmart), clean, effective, and won't cause your humidifier to deteriorate.
Alkaline water could be damaging to your equipment, and could be irritating to your lungs.  Spring water will promote mineral deposits in the tank.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/a21...-benefits/

Quote:Enter alkaline water, which is rich in alkalizing ingredients like calcium, silica, potassium, magnesium, and bicarbonate, explains Amy Shapiro, R.D.,
Looks like "alkaline water" is spring water on steroids.   I would not put it in my CPAP equipment.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am very lucky here, I can use water straight out of the tap/faucet.
There is few minerals or anything to leave a film/scum in the humidifier chamber.
A wash is all it needs and a scrub with a light brush every year.
I use them for a year with a light wash and there is hardly a mark inside the humidifier chamber.
Maybe just the slightest hint of a stain on the bottom, which comes off with a scrub.

Only thing that I am bothered with is a pink slime which I am lead to believe is a air-born, but it is not easy to get rid of.  So I have to clean it every week just to keep it at bay!  It gets into every crevice it can.  I just scrub it with soap and a brush, but I wish there was anther way to get rid of it without stinking the chamber up with vinegar or other strong smell.
I have no idea if this slime is harmful or not, any ideas?
If it was I think the years I have been exposed to it I would have come down with something bad!

Once you are north of the Central Belt there is no real need for distilled water, it is pure enugh, just like me, never kissed or cuddled!   Big Grin
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Waits for Dave or Walla Walla to respond to last line! 

Lolabove
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 09:27 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: I am very lucky here, I can use water straight out of the tap/faucet.
There is few minerals or anything to leave a film/scum in the humidifier chamber.
A wash is all it needs and a scrub with a light brush every year.
I use them for a year with a light wash and there is hardly a mark inside the humidifier chamber.
Maybe just the slightest hint of a stain on the bottom, which comes off with a scrub.

Only thing that I am bothered with is a pink slime which I am lead to believe is a air-born, but it is not easy to get rid of.  So I have to clean it every week just to keep it at bay!  It gets into every crevice it can.  I just scrub it with soap and a brush, but I wish there was anther way to get rid of it without stinking the chamber up with vinegar or other strong smell.
I have no idea if this slime is harmful or not, any ideas?
If it was I think the years I have been exposed to it I would have come down with something bad!

Once you are north of the Central Belt there is no real need for distilled water, it is pure enugh, just like me, never kissed or cuddled!   Big Grin
Good to hear the water is good! Thanks.

You may wish to look up wiki on Serratia Marcescens, an airborne bacteria. It’s probably the same thing if your bathroom has it too. The section on pathogenicity is particularly worrying.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The pink bacteria is harmless, and ubiquitous in the environment. It will colonize any wet warm surface, and it can occur with distilled water as well as tap water. I have seen it in the shower and swimming pool under the right conditions. For your CPAP, the best way to clean it is to use hydrogen peroxide which will physically remove it from every crack and crevice, and acts to sanitize. Just use the stuff from the drug store or Walmart that comes in the brown bottle. It is diluted to about 3.5% and is safe, costs less than $1.00 per quart. Soak and agitate and the treatment will last a month or more.

Most surfaces like the shower or pool it is eliminated using a chlorine disinfecting cleanser or pool shock.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 09:28 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Waits for Dave or Walla Walla to respond to last line! 

Lolabove

Happy Friday! I'm out of snarky comments today. AND I'm on tea break...Coffee

I have used distilled water from the beginning, and I may continue to do so just so I don't have to clean the humidifier tub of deposits. 9 months on tub one and counting...with 2 backup tubs, 1 of the fresh tubs went to the hospital with me several weeks ago and the other is still bagged.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 10:35 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: You may wish to look up wiki on Serratia Marcescens, an airborne bacteria. It’s probably the same thing if your bathroom has it too. The section on pathogenicity is particularly worrying.
Please note, the WIKI describesSerratia Marcescens as an opportunistic pathogen. Many normally non-pathogenic environmental bacteria are opportunistic pathogens and we encounter them frequently. Opportunistic  pathogens rarely cause disease in individuals with healthy immune systems and are no cause for worry for most of us. As noted in the quote below from the Journal of Medical Microbiology, it is also a growing cause of hospital acquired infection

"S. marcescens is rarely associated with primary invasive infection. It operates as a true opportunist producing infection whenever it gains access to a suitably compromised host. Patients most at risk include those with debilitating or immunocompromising disorders, those treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics and patients in ICU who are subjected to invasive instrumentation."

Serratia is not the only pink pigmented bacterium. A more likely cause of pink slime in humidifiers is Methylobacterium, and environmental organism which is encountered frequently in industrial purified water systems. It is rarely found in clinical specimens, but like most bacteria, is probably an opportunistic pathogen. It is probably what Sleeprider has seen and others have seen. Although there may be no bacterial species that is 100% harmless it's about as close to harmless as any.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just use standard tap water. At home I run it through a Brita filter, but when on the road I'll use whatever comes out of the faucet unless there's a very specific reason not to.
Bottled water is really no different than your tap water, just more expensive and comes in a plastic bottle you throw away.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,992 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 153 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 198 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,931 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,520 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 316 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.