Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Water and the different type of water
Water and the different type of water
Dear all, I am new to this site and have just been diagnosed with sever OSA. my numbers are 49 and in the process of getting my machine.  The question I have and have been reading up about is this:

1) What type of water do you use?
2) Can I use bottle alkaline water in cpap machines
3) is  bottle spring water ok
4) Does it have to be distill water

thanking everyone in advance for their response.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water and the differen type of water
Welcome to the forum, Twoeagle.

I use distilled water.

I'm not familiar with alkaline water, but if it isn't acidic it should be ok.

I use bottled water, although not necessarily spring water, when traveling. It is easier to carry than a gallon of distilled water.

It isn't necessary to use distilled water unless you are having a problem with mineral deposits in your water tank. There are members of the forum who use tap water with no problems..
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your quick reply on this. Much appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board,

I have used distilled water except 2 nights where I had run out of it. I used 2 bottles of drinking water then. I have high content of minerals in the well water at home, so I avoid that. As long as your water doesn't cause mineral build-up you should be OK.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Much appreciated.  It is overwhelming when you are just starting and you are scared cause you know when falling asleep is dangerous for you, until you get your machine...
Post Reply Post Reply
I just use tap water Twoeagle, but then I am in North Scotland where there is not much minerals or lime in the water.
If I go to England I buy a bottle of water from Scotland out of a shop and use that.  If I go abroad I use bottled water usually, but not always, I have found most of Europe ok for just tap water.
I honestly do not know what I would use in Canada or USA, maybe just bottled water.
If I was in New York I would be using bottled water for sure.
I don't think I have ever used distilled water in my life, except to put in batteries Big Grin 

If you see any build up or deposit on the bottom of your humidifier change your water to something better.
That is the guide I use, otherwise it is tap or bottled water for me.

You might get a pink slime build up, this is an airborne bacteria, just wash the humidifier out and if you want use diluted vinegar to get rid of it do so, but this does leave a bit of a smell.
It will normally return in no time, as it is airborne and you can find it on shower walls and anywhere where there is warmth and humidity.
I have had it in my humidifier since I started more years ago than i care to admit, wash it and it is gone, a few nights later, there is a hint of it returnong.
All you can do is keep things as clean as you can.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh awesome...I really like this posting..it really alleviates my fear... Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If I go somewhere a good guide is to ask if the water is safe to drink out of the tal, if the answer is yes, that is a good start.
If in doubt, use bottled water.  The other thing to ask is if it is a hard water area, if it is use bottled water.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I use tap water since I have my own spring. It does build up a white mineral deposit but a good soak in vinegar and water will remove most, if not all of it. I just chuck the tub every 6 months to be safe.

When I travel, because I am not used to the chlorinated water of hotels and cities, I tend to use bottled water. I can smell the chlorine and it drives me nuts.

The key is, no matter what type of water you use, that you do regular cleaning. How "regular" depends on how germ phobic / OCD you are. Some folks clean every day. Some once a week. Some whenever we get around to it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 248 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.