Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Water in Mask
Water in Mask
I have been using CPAP for 2 weeks.  Last night i woke up with water in my mask, this is the first time this has happened.  The settings on my machine have not changed since day 1.  Anybody know why this might have happened?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water in Mask
Hi smorris298!  -  Welcome
What you are describing is called "Rainout".  This common when using a standard non-heated hose.  This generally occurs by having the humidity turned up above what the ambient temperature can support.  I recommend obtaining a Resmed ClimateLine heated hose.  The heated hose provides the ability to set humidity levels higher than what can normally be supported by the ambient room temperature.   Additionally,  try to locate your CPAP below mattress level, routing your hose above your head and then back down to you.  This will aid in causing any condensation that forms in the hose to drop back to the CPAP and not into your mask.  This is a good setup when you get the heated hose as well.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Between you and the machine, you're both contributing to the water load in the air passing through the mask.  It's simply too high a moisture load for the air temperature/mask inner surface temperature combination.  You need to raise the temperature of the room air to warm the mask more (probably not a great idea since it's already next-to-skin), or a better idea would be to reduce/stop humidification of the water by altering the settings appropriately.

Or....stop breathing.  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape

Thanks for the info.  I am using a heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine rests on a file cabinet on the side of my bed. From there, the hose runs uphill at a steep incline, until it reaches a hose holder I fabricated some time ago. 

I've never had any rainout issues as far as I know. I do tend to drool just a bit during the night. Some nights can be a bit worse than others. 

If it's bad enough, it'll wake me up and I then get up, remove my mask, and use a tissue to wipe it dry. Other times......I just swallow. Not trying to sound gross, just telling it like it is.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2020, 08:55 PM)smorris298 Wrote: . . . I am using a heated hose.

You can approach this two ways, three if you combine them. One, increase the hose temperature. Two, reduce your humidity setting. Three, both one and two.

What are your current settings?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have th humidity on 8 and i have no idea what the hose temp is or if i can change that
Post Reply Post Reply
This is just a guess but you might try a setting of, Humidity set to "Auto" and Temperature to 78F (26C).  The "Auto" setting tries to maintain a humidity level as high a possible without rainout for the given temperature.  The temperature is just a starting point. You can play with this setting for your comfort.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I will give it a try.  Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 355 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.